New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1508 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2020 :  08:14:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If I can get healthy enough I plan on driving to my old home town of Brunswick, GA in September to visit relatives. After visiting there I will turn north and visit friends and relatives in Savannah, GA where I graduated high school and went to college.

I'll start the actual tour from Brunswick and follow mostly these two guys route to Alexandria, LA. From there I will use the Southern Tier to Austin, TX and find my own route from Austin to home.
http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page/?o=1mr&page_id=405642&v=33

I plan on staying with Warm Showers and Couch Surfing hosts and motels. Some nights I might have to wild camp. This will be my first light weight tour. Light weight summer tent and air pad, down blanket instead of sleeping bag. I will carry my little soda can stove for coffee and oatmeal. It weighs in at less than an oz. Runs off of Alcohol & Heet. I will eat out mostly and stop at grocery stores for fruit and misc.

Since I will be in the velomobile I plan on 100 or more miles per day. That is if I am in good enough shape by then. I am pretty weak still from my 2 massive heart attacks and 3 way bypass with all the complications. Spent 28 days in Cardiac Intensive Care. I have lost right at 50 pounds. My right lung collapsed and filled with fluid and solid crap. Just now after two months getting it close to normal. They drained it 4 times but walking and breathing exercises is finally getting it right. I had other complications but I will not dive into them. Too much to write and bore people with.

This will be my come back attempt tour. If it proves to be to much or causing health problems I will abort and get a ride home. I don't foresee this happening, but you just never know. I haven't decided if I will post this on carzyguyonabike or not. I have had a couple of interested people off that site who might want to join me. Anyone here interested let me know.

warren
human power expert

USA
6499 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2020 :  09:38:09  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Welcome back, Jerry! I'm happy that you made it through all that with your drive for riding intact!
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1508 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2020 :  10:14:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Warren. If nothing else it has taught me to have a little more patience and appreciate life more. Little things are not worth the time to bother with them!
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3681 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2020 :  07:47:38  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jerry, aren't you forgetting Battle Mountain in mid September?

C:
Tony Levand
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1508 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2020 :  08:04:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tony that was the plan until all my health issues. The doctor says I can start riding easy in a month. No speed training for a year or next February. I think my dream of Battle Mountain is over. My health issues are very serious and nothing to be taken lightly.

Edited by - Jerry on 03/12/2020 17:14:51
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1508 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2020 :  14:59:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rode one mile today in the WAW. First ride since 01/09/2020. I got tired of walking. Walking makes my old foot swell. Tomorrow I might try 5 or more miles.
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3681 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2020 :  15:10:38  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's more than I rode today. Stay clear of the coro virus.

C:
Tony Levand

Edited by - alevand on 03/18/2020 15:20:55
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1508 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2020 :  15:45:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I see someone I get 10 feet from them. That virus would kill me pretty quick.
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3681 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2020 :  06:47:55  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I didn't know soap destroys the virus:

C:
Tony Levand
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1508 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2020 :  08:03:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is why they have been telling us for all my 67 years to wash your hands good for at least 20 seconds.

I didn't ride yesterday because of he weather. It is cold and still raining this morning. I might have to walk today inside. Yuck!
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3681 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2020 :  08:05:30  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here too. Did kayak in the cold rain yesterday 8 miles.

C:
Tony Levand
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1508 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2020 :  10:57:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rain has moved out and temps warming up a little. I hope to go for a ride afternoon.

I need to take a tour of the TX gulf with my kayak in tow. My daughter bought me the kayaking guide for the whole Gulf and rivers in Texas.
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1508 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2020 :  17:24:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Got in my first real ride of 10 miles today. I hit a maximum of 23.86 catching a lone roadie. That wore me out but felt great. Tomorrow I try for 15 or more miles.
/img]

/img]
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3681 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2020 :  18:02:25  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Illinois is locked down starting tomorrow 5pm. haven't ridden in over a week. I'll have to brave the cold and ride tomorrow.

C:
Tony Levand
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1508 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2020 :  19:40:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is what I love about a velomobile. 41f and damp from rain and I was snug and comfortable.
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1508 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2020 :  16:48:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am rethinking my winter tour. This Covid-19 is really getting bad. If I can find a place to get a box of the right respirators I might end up riding down to Corpus Chrisi then over toward Galveston and back home.

Of course by then we might all be under a shut down, stay at home alert.
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3681 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2020 :  08:18:11  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Illinois has stay at home order since Saturday. Looks like your lt governor wants to make TX the next Italy.
C:
Tony Levand

Edited by - alevand on 03/24/2020 08:59:47
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1508 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2020 :  10:53:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This governor is a do nothing governor. He is wheelchair bound but took away wheelchairs from the poor. I would trade him for 2 bricks!
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1508 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2020 :  13:47:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ten mile ride today in 83f weather was very tough. I guess I still have a ways to go yet.
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3681 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2020 :  17:08:15  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Did an overnighter last night. Carp de jour needs some work, pulls to left, big turning radius and Houdini egress. Packed big sleeping bag, tent, warm cloths and pad. Not much room for food. 2 liter water bottles in nose leaked again,may be due to rough trail, thought that was fixed, the hit the axle, then puncture.

C:
Tony Levand

Edited by - alevand on 03/26/2020 17:09:38
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1508 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2020 :  19:21:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got way too hot yesterday as it was 94f. Got up early this morning and rode 20 miles. I almost didn't make it home. I got home and ate and then drank 32 oz of water with electrolytes, NUUN, in it. Feel 99% better!

I have to be more careful about the heat. Doctor told me it could cause a stroke and another heart attack. Today got up into the upper 80's and tomorrow around mid 80's. Starting Saturday in the 70's until next Saturday.

I am no where near ready for over night camping or travel. It is hard for me to go up these small hills without extra weight of touring gear. Maybe by September. Looks like it will be the TX Gulf coast until the virus is over. The wife will be my sag to carry enough food and water. We can sleep in the van along the beach on most of the TX Gulf coast.
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3681 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2020 :  06:46:42  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Temps 40-50s. Made a fire in my invention, plan to market it as the "Wheel hobo stove" Rode with intern working on his residency. He had some time off before returning to 13 hr days.

At hobo camp:

Heed doc's warning, you could get heat stroke, then a stroke, then heart attack and then get covid from your nurse.

C:
Tony Levand

Edited by - alevand on 03/27/2020 07:28:24
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1508 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2020 :  08:47:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ticks already out down here. You could get Lyme disease and Covid-19 on same camp out!

I am taking it easy today. Need to work on the WAW as the front chain idler bracket is broke.
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
www.recumbents.com © 2019 www.recumbents.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000