www.recumbents.com - Space frame recumbents.
www.recumbents.com
www.recumbents.com
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
 All Forums
 www.recumbents.com
 Technical / Bike Building
 Space frame recumbents.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Balor
recumbent guru

Russia
991 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2019 :  06:47:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can hive mind provide me with examples?
Most importantly, I want a design that completely encloses the rider, similar to Horns 2wd/2ws electric recumbent (first prototype), because it will be enclosed in a shell later.

Btw, stated weight of 70 pounds with heavy motor wheels seem very impressive, even given lack of transmission.

Joel DIckman
recumbent enthusiast

USA
165 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2019 :  20:51:26  Show Profile  Visit Joel DIckman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Balor

...I want a design that completely encloses the rider, similar to Horns 2wd/2ws electric recumbent (first prototype), because it will be enclosed in a shell later...

Hello Balor,

I think that Steve Delaire built a bike called the Super 7 many years ago that had a frame enclosing the rider on both left and right sides. Don't know if the motivation was to provide crash protection, attachment points for a fairing, or both. He sometimes visits here. Perhaps he will explain.

Why does this type of bike appeal to you? If you want to minimize road rash when falling to the side, coroplast panels will help somewhat. A roll bar could be attached to a seat for head protection.

Safe riding,
Joel Dickman
http://lightningriders.com

These three prevent most accidents: seeing, being seen, & (usually) common sense.
Go to Top of Page

Balor
recumbent guru

Russia
991 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2019 :  23:37:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He actually pointed out that bike to me on BROL, where I crossposted my question :)
The bike will be VPS like Rohorn's bent on the picture (at least I hope it will work out!) so it makes total sense to make a space frame... Rohorn's is beautiful, but a bit complex/overbuilt for my purposes.
In my case, I'll try and design it in cad and than extract 'lugs' from the model to connect off the shelf tubing... thin cromoly at first I presume, but then carbon for 'final model'.
The fairing will be of foam: I've experiemented with it (nose cone that did't really work but at least I've got some experience) and liked it very much, but it will provide zero protection in a crash.
A roll bar is a very good idea!
Go to Top of Page

SpiderMonkey
recumbent guru

USA
725 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2019 :  17:55:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a hard time believing that thing weighs only 70 pounds. My Azub mini weighs nearly 50, and it's got less tubing, lighter wheels, and zero car batteries instead of three. Those tires alone look like they weigh 10 pounds.

--SpiderMonkey
Go to Top of Page

Balor
recumbent guru

Russia
991 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2019 :  22:35:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Obviously, it weights 70 sans battery. Batteries add an other 70 pounds as stated.
The problem with ebikes currently is not motors - they can be pretty damn light - but batteries. Always batteries.
Go to Top of Page

SpiderMonkey
recumbent guru

USA
725 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2019 :  15:29:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I didn't see the other 70 pounds stated guess.

That's a lot of battery.

One of the parts of Iron Man that bugged me (other than dropping from the sky inside of steel armor into the desert and not being injured) was the way he walked around the cave complex with a double-sized car battery under one arm like it was a 1 pound cardboard box.

--SpiderMonkey
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
www.recumbents.com © 2019 www.recumbents.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000