New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1475 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2019 :  17:25:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am thinking of riding from my mother's place in Louisiana down to Pensacola to Key West this winter. If I can find a place to leave the van, I might start in Pensacola or Gulf Shores, AL. Thinking of starting in Jan or Feb.

I haven't completely decided how I will get back to Texas but will probably ride back up to Miami and rent a mini van or pickup. Or ship the WAW home via Uship.com and ride the train home. I also haven't decided to post this on cgoab classifieds yet either.

I'll use warmshowers.org, stealth camp, and talk my way into camping at churches, homes, or whatever. Anyone else game?

Edited by - Jerry on 10/24/2019 11:35:20

alevand
human power expert

USA
3541 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2019 :  09:00:09  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
OK

C:
Tony Levand
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1475 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2019 :  20:22:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Currently running a double up front 42t/56t. Thinking about putting a 34t/53t or put the Sram DD3 on and have 54 gears by using the double up front. The WAW originally came with the DD3 on it. Less than 15 miles was put on it.The first owner only put 11 miles on the WAW. The person I bought it from put way less than a 1,000 miles on it. He didn't like the DD3 and put a triple and front derailleur on it. I have put twice as many miles on since April than it had from 2014 until April. It had less than a 1,000 miles on it and I have right at 2,000 miles on it since April.
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3541 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2019 :  06:09:34  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A granny gear would be good idea considering the weight of the velo and what you carry. The old carp (56,46,36,24 teeth) (49 lb empty) had 24 front to 32 rear on a 700x32 tire = 52 gear inch with 150 mm cranks. New carp has 26 to 36 with 150mm. Trike has 26 to 36 on 26x1.35 = 46 gear inch, 140 mm cranks. 34T is not small enough for a loaded velo without mountain drive, ect.

C:
Tony Levand
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1475 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2019 :  20:16:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the gear inch might be a little off there. A 26t to 36t, 26 x 1.35 tire with 140 mm cranks is around 17.7 gear inch according to this calculator, http://cycleseven.org/bicycle-gear-inch-calculator . I had a 39t to 26t on the 48+ pound Baron with the tail box and about 70 pounds in/on tail box on the Natchez Trace trip. That is a 36.75 gear inch with a 32 mm x 559 tire. I have a 42t/56t double on the front and 11-32 on the rear with a 50mm x 559 tire which is about 36 inch gear. A 34t front with a 34 rear using the same tire would be 26+ gear inch. If I use the Sram DD3 with the 34t front that gets me down to about 12-14 gear inch! I could climb a pole with you and your bike on the back of the WAW with that gearing!
The steepest climb on the FL coast is the 6% bridges and I can do that with the setup I have now fully loaded. The long hill leaving my house is 4% grade, it fluctuates from 1 7/8" to 2 1/4" on a 4 foot level, and I can pedal up it fully loaded with one leg. I can actually ride up it easily in the 56t using both legs. The biggest hill goes from 5%-7% and I ride up it 4-5 times a week. Doing all those squats and 1 & 2 legged leg presses helps a lot for climbing and sprinting! And you know I am not a weight weenie! Lol.
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3541 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2019 :  07:27:54  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I should have divided by 2pi and not just pi, values are double.

C:
Tony Levand
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1475 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2019 :  09:58:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is why I use the calculator. I forget too much! I am in Louisiana for the week and of course it is raining! Again! Have you finished the new Carp and fairing?
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1475 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2019 :  10:44:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have some CF repairs to make when I return home on the WAW. The access hatch on the front deck came loose when riding on these wonderful bumpy Louisiana roads. It must have shook the front screw out and then the wind blew the hatch up and the CF ripped off and the hatch went right over the hood. A Louisiana State Trooper was behind me and saw what happened and he stopped and turned on his lights. He was impressed that I was doing 41 mph on a small down hill. He was using his radar on me. He knew I was pedaling because last Monday evening I had passed another trooper and he googled Bicycle Evolution and they even knew it was a WAW. If you are an introvert, don't buy a velomobile! Every where I ride here I have an audience. I rode through a McDonald's drive and all the employees and most of the customers came outside and started asking questions. I was heading to the gym and cut through the parking lot to keep from riding on very busy US-171 and 2 cars followed me from there to the gym to ask more questions and take pictures. Then at the gym everyone comes out to ask questions. Can you guess the number 1 question?
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3541 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2019 :  10:43:33  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Does it have a motor.

C:
Tony Levand
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1475 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2019 :  15:07:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You win the Grand Prize!

Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3541 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2019 :  15:43:10  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The second is does the shell help. Third is is it harder to ride then a normal bike.

C:
Tony Levand

Edited by - alevand on 07/30/2019 15:43:27
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1475 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2019 :  19:03:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is it hot inside there? How far you ride that thing? Is it comfortable? Did you make it? What does it cost? That is the coolest thing ever, where can I get one? You mind if I take pictures? How much does it weigh? How fast can it go? Are you married?

Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3541 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2019 :  19:23:23  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
And of course the rubber neckers with cell phones pointing at you.

C:
Tony Levand
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1475 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2019 :  07:49:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The worse ones actually stop and cause a traffic jam. One person stopped suddenly and of course the tailgater was on their phone and wham! Rear ended the car that stopped and I was watching in my mirror and moved out of the way just in time. Guess who got blamed? The attention can be too much when I am tired or in a hurry to get back home.
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1475 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2019 :  14:45:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When it is winter time I can't wait for spring/summer. When it is summer time in Texas I wish I was in the Arctic! I am looking forward to the FL tour but hope it doesn't decide to rain a lot. I know, picky, picky. At least in a velomobile the changing weather is not so bad.

I just was reading comments on the touring bikepacking FB page of all those talking about their saddles. Sure am glad I found recumbents.
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3541 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2019 :  07:58:08  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It always rains a lot, and don't forget the polar vortex. We are now getting nice weather after being hotter than Texas, almost fall like.

C:
Tony Levand
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1475 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2019 :  17:12:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For Texas it has been a cool summer. Only upper 90's to 104F. But it lasts forever! Usually the rains don't last long in FL unless a tropical storm or hurricane. Back in the early 70's it would rain every day for 10-20 minutes in Miami. Then get very humid. Tampa to Titusville, FL is considered lightning alley. https://www.weather.gov/mlb/lightning_facts . Two people were killed by lightning under the eave of a restaurant overhang about 6 years ago when I was visiting Melbourne Beach, FL.
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1475 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2019 :  08:00:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I ordered these to see if they really help shrink down my sleeping bag and air mattress. https://www.amazon.com/Eagle-Creek-Pack-Compression-Strobe/dp/B01LYCGP86 . And going to Target to get these for my clothes.
https://www.target.com/p/deluxe-compression-bags-5pk-made-by-design-153/-/A-54211144?ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&fndsrc=tgtao&CPNG=PLA_Luggage%2BShopping_Brand&adgroup=SC_Luggage&LID=700000001170770pgs&network=g&device=c&location=9027285&gclsrc=aw.ds&ds_rl=1246978&ds_rl=1246978&ds_rl=1246978&gclid=EAIaIQobChMImqKaq8WF5QIViLzACh3AyQqIEAQYASABEgIDLfD_BwE

It is 59f this morning! Getting ready to take my little tour to Leesville, LA to visit my family and then take the Southern Tier back to Austin then home. I still plan on a trip to FL in January. Maybe just to Pensacola and back.

Also going to put the triple chain rings back on. 53-39-26 I should be able to climb just about anything with ease. The 26t front 34t rear will give me around 19.72 inch gear according to the inch gear calculator. That is a lot lower than the present 39 inch gear low I have now.
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1475 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2019 :  12:04:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All my clothes that I take on tours. 3 shorts, 3 shirts, 5 pair socks, long pants, sweat shirt, and thermal under wear. The Eagle Creek rool up compression bags reduced the thickness of the bag by more than half.

/img]
/img]

It also shrank my heavy, thick winter sleeping bag in half. Both bags along with my air mattress now fits behind the seat of the WAW. The tent, ground over, tarp, and other items will go along the side of the seat and on the floor in the nose. I am also going to velcro a cargo net inside the tail to hold stuff too!

The sleeping bag.
/img]

Sleeping bag inside the WAW behind the seat and air mattress. The battery died on my camera before I could get a picture of the clothes bag in behind the seat.
/img]

Edited by - Jerry on 10/11/2019 12:08:37
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3541 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2019 :  15:02:28  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well its going to be like winter here tonight, 31F. What are the bags made of? I been using zip lock food bags for cloths but they snag and get holes. + Balaclava and down jacket for me, probably same stuff I brought on Natchez, different tent. I am planning for a 2 day ride Sunday to Turkey Run, if the bike is ready, low of 35 expected Sunday.

C:
Tony Levand
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1475 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2019 :  16:31:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yesterday morning it was 79 at 5 am, 41 today. Hit 96 yesterday, 63 today! And finally some rain.

The Eagle Creek are reinforced nylon yarn in polyethelene bag. https://www.eaglecreek.com/shop/compression/pack-it-compression-sac-set-m-l-ec040119#hero=0
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3541 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2019 :  07:08:42  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jerry has canceled his winter trip.

C:
Tony Levand
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
www.recumbents.com © 2019 www.recumbents.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000