New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

estoudz
Starting Member

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2019 :  09:55:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The post Carolina did on coroplast fairings got me interested in using coroplast as a core material for a carbon fiber panel. I will try to plasma surface treat a coroplast panel and laminate it with carbon fiber and load test it.

eric stoudemire

warren
human power expert

USA
6454 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2019 :  13:06:37  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Cool!
Go to Top of Page

harv
recumbent enthusiast

424 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2019 :  07:26:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FWIW,I was at a rotomolding plant and they used a gas torch with a big soft flame to treat rotomolded HDPE parts that would have paint or labels attached to the treated areas. The flame does the same thing to PE as corona discharge. To check the effectiveness of the surface treatment (we used to buy PE sheets that were treated by our extruded matl supplier that would be silk screened and diecut) there are tests that use various wetting agents to test for surface dyne levels. Link to company that makes dyne test pens so you can see if the surface prep is sufficient. http://tinyurl.com/y5bboqzz

Edited by - harv on 04/17/2019 07:28:25
Go to Top of Page

carolina
human power supergeek

USA
1059 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2019 :  08:52:32  Show Profile  Visit carolina's Homepage  Reply with Quote
After (harvís dyne pen treatment) you would need epoxy resin instead of polyester resin. I would think best.

The formula is e over p always (epoxy over polyester always)[ never p over e. It want bond]

Good one harv.

velosRus.com

Edited by - carolina on 04/17/2019 08:55:44
Go to Top of Page

estoudz
Starting Member

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2019 :  13:41:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think I will combine mechanical scoring with the plasma treatment to ensure a good bond. I will use a roller with spikes on it to cover the coroplast with tiny holes. Hopefully the epoxy will penetrate the holes and once cured will act like tiny rivets. The method I will use combines flame and corona treatment. I will use a torch for the source of ions and accelerate them toward the coroplast target using a high voltage supply.

eric stoudemire
Go to Top of Page

estoudz
Starting Member

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2019 :  15:10:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have finished scoring the coroplast panel with a wallpaper scoring tool and wiping it clean with acetone. The side of the panel not being plasma treated at this time will be covered with aluminum foil. The high voltage supply will have one lead connected to this foil with the other lead connected to the torch. This configuration acts as a capacitor with the coroplast being the dielectric. One can scan the torch over the coroplast surface using a insulated handle, use caution. If you are not familiar with high voltage do not attempt this just use flame treatment but flame combined with corona treatment will give superior results. When I finish treating I will post photos of the wettability vs an untreated section.

eric stoudemire

Edited by - estoudz on 04/19/2019 21:46:14
Go to Top of Page

estoudz
Starting Member

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2019 :  15:55:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have treated one side of the coroplast panel. Here is a photo of the wettability of the treated section (bottom puddle) vs untreated (top puddle). The bottom puddle is spread out further thus showing better wettability. One article states that if you wipe down the treated surface with isopropyl alcohol it will preserve the treatment. I will start laminating the treated surface while the surface still has good wettability.

https://i.ibb.co/1ZFxgmd/IMG-0289.jpg

eric stoudemire
Go to Top of Page

estoudz
Starting Member

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2019 :  16:47:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have laminated both sides of the panel with the first layer of 12k carbon fiber tow parallel to the coroplast flutes. I will now laminate another layer at a ninety degree angle to the first.

https://ibb.co/sy5NxM7

eric stoudemire
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
www.recumbents.com © 2019 www.recumbents.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000