New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1439 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2019 :  08:07:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tony is driving down from Lemont, IL to my house and we will leave my house the morning of the 12th heading for Crater Diamond State Park, AR about 270 miles away. I will turn around and ride back home as Tony will continue his ride back home. I would ride farther but have to be back home for my granddaugther's birthday and grandson's baseball and hockey games. It will be the 5 year olds first hockey game.

alevand
human power expert

USA
3454 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2019 :  07:13:34  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's the plan, though I thought we were meeting up on Friday and embarking on Saturday am to avoid the Dallas metropolitan morning rush, though I suppose we could start after the Friday rush, around 9 am, and get through the 65 miles of sprawl and on to the North East Texas Trail before 2 pm. Wolfe City has primitive bike camping at the city lake, at tour mile 90.

I started a CGOAB journal https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=1o0&doc_id=21206&v=3f

C:
Tony Levand
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3454 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2019 :  07:40:47  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wolfe City is having a trail run on the 13th. The crushed granite ends somewhere after Celeste and before Wolf City and become a MTB trail.
After Wolfe City:

C:
Tony Levand

Edited by - alevand on 04/03/2019 07:42:49
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1439 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2019 :  17:31:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Most of that trail looks pretty rough after Merit, TX. See what it looks like when we get there. I'll take to the road if the trail is too bad.
Go to Top of Page

Toecutter

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2019 :  02:44:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That sounds like a lot of fun. Are you bringing the WAW?
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1439 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2019 :  07:52:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes I am. Trying something new this time too. Trying to be a weight weenie! Back packing light weight tent, light weight pad, and a Costco down blanket. Ultra light thermals, 2 shorts, 2 tees, 2 socks, tooth brush and gel, soda can stove and HEET, small ziplock bag coffee, cup, plastic spoon, matches, tubes, and tools. About 50+ pounds less than normal!
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3454 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2019 :  18:26:46  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'll have to take some stuff out. Light weight dome tent, static V pad, down bag and pillow... PP long john, 3 pair wool socks, quick dry: 2 tees, one short sleeve shirt, 2 running shorts, shorts, long pants, down jacket, cycling jersey, rainproof windbreaker, balaclava. Bag of lighter, swiss army knife, vitamins, salt, Metamucil, spork, camp light, phone changer, flashlight. TP, towelettes, tooth brush, tooth paste, floss, razor,soap, water filter, sunblock, chap stick...muiti tool, channel locks, pump, patches,duct tape, zip ties...2 liters water, dried fruit and food. I took out one long sleeve quick dry tee for sleeping in. I could take out one par socks and one QD tee, buts its nice two have two when one gets stinky. Shirt and shorts are to look normal after cycling, as I only wear running shorts in the fairing in warm weather.. Long pants, johns, jersey, and jacket are for colder weather after riding, I hate trying to sleep and not being able to warm up. Should be good down to mid 30s in the down bag.

Bike seems good with the weight, rides smoother, but a but slower, and slower climbing(crawling). Seems a little more shaky at higher speeds. have about 90 flat miles with it packed.

C:
Tony Levand

Edited by - alevand on 04/06/2019 18:59:41
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3454 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2019 :  19:50:24  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I made a link to a google map:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1KenvgUus51Xvs5WWHfZWYLgJUwyH108S&usp=sharing

C:
Tony Levand
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1439 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2019 :  09:31:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just love my WAW! Everything is easy to get to as both the front and tail come off. The front has a hatch that is held on by magnets making access easy. I have my tent, air pad, and sleeping bag in there.

/img]

/img]
Go to Top of Page

Toecutter

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2019 :  23:49:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's amazing what you can fit into the WAW.
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1439 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2019 :  20:44:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had to cancel my part of the ride. I will be taking care of my mother for 2-3 weeks. She had a bad accident and they are replacing her knee. She will need 24/7 care and they will only let her stay 2 nights and then be taken to PT 3-4 days a week from her home. No more planning by me. From now on I will just get up one morning and go on my tour! Sorry Tony!
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3454 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2019 :  08:34:33  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No problem Jerry, I am changing the route slightly to compensate: "San Francisco toward Chicago"

C:
Tony Levand
Go to Top of Page

Toecutter

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2019 :  09:06:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by alevand

No problem Jerry, I am changing the route slightly to compensate: "San Francisco toward Chicago"

C:
Tony Levand

If you end up passing through the St. Louis area let me know.
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1439 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2019 :  10:58:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by alevand

C:
Tony Levand

Good luck Tony! Maybe in a couple of years I can make an epic journey.
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3454 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2019 :  06:47:27  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Im mapping the route through California, Nevada, Utah and Colorado and its scaring me. Big mountains and long empty distances between tiny towns. Im an gong to order an new front tire, and carry spare brake pads and tubes. ACA Western Express to Trans Am route.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1QRPhA9N8AA53IoJwAnun9ODMDyFTncza&usp=sharing

C:
Tony Levand

Edited by - alevand on 04/10/2019 06:50:05
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1439 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2019 :  10:35:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It will depend on when you get to CO or KS, but if it works out I might can meet up with you in CO or KS and ride to MO with you. I have to see how everything works out.

Maybe some where between Newton, KS and Toronto, KS. I would have the wife drop me off close to Pittsburg, KS and ride west until we meet up. She will not drive over 350 miles by herself! Then turn around and ride back to either Jefferson City, MO or Washington, MO.

Edited by - Jerry on 04/10/2019 10:47:53
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3454 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2019 :  08:54:42  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Getting Bearings Straight
I rebuilt the hub, but that's not what the title is about. Ive decided that I am not ready to ride from California. There is a dead end road with a small hill near home here in flat land. I did hill climbing and descents fully loaded, minus food and extra water. Coasting I hit 40 mph before applying brakes to stop before the busy 4 lane highway. At 3.4 mph climbing, the bike doesn't have clearance to both pedal and steer the excursions needed to keep balance. One the descents, 30 mph is probably the upper limit before the brakes smoke and rims overheat. So it would be a slow and tenuous ride through mountains 50 times the height of this little flat land hill. According to Google maps the climb is 85 feet and length of 1/4 mile, so probably a max of 15% slope at the steepest section and 6.5% average.

The other aspect is transporting the bike, which I have no concrete plan. California I will need a long wheel base bike for high speed stability and smoother ride and possibly more steering maybe retractable outriggers and disk brakes. The fairing does not have enough air drag to slow it down.

So the plan is now to ride to the Crater of Diamonds state park in Arkansas, a reverse of my Dallas to Chicago route.

We had rain predicted for last night, so I set up my el cheapo dome tent to test it. Good thing as one pole was one section too short. I haven't checked it this morning but up to 1 AM, when I went inside, It didn't seem to leak, it had a lot of condensation as to be expected with a single wall tent. It weighs 2 lbs with fiberglass poles. Rain is noisy as the wall is inches from ear. Confucius say best to sleep under roof when rain expected.

https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/pics/docs/00/02/12/06/small/IMG_20190412_083125.jpg?v=1
https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/pics/docs/00/02/12/06/large/IMG_20190412_083317.jpg?v=0

Airplane Bike Location from Google maps APRS: https://aprs.fi/#!mt=roadmap&z=11&call=a%2FAA9CC&timerange=604800&tail=604800

Location by APRS Direct: https://www.aprsdirect.com/sid/2137675/time/14400

Route on Google Maps: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1KenvgUus51Xvs5WWHfZWYLgJUwyH108S&usp=sharing

C:
Tony Levand

Edited by - alevand on 04/12/2019 10:07:22
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3454 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2019 :  17:08:11  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Driving Down to C of D Ar. Will start Saturday. Rain and t storms all day forecast for Wednesday and Thursday.
C:
Tony Levand

Edited by - alevand on 04/16/2019 14:12:52
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1439 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2019 :  20:43:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have fun. Wish I could be there.
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1439 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2019 :  07:42:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rain Tuesday and Wednesday, maybe Thursday too along your route. Wow, just checked and the revised the forecast. Monday - Friday in some places and Tuesday through Friday in the other places.

https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/us/il/mound-city/37.09%2C-89.16?cm_ven=localwx_10day
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3454 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2019 :  17:44:39  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Went from 60% chance of rain to flood watch in a day. Hopefully I can still cross the Big Dam Bridge on the Arkansas river.

Maybe I'll leave my down jacket home, look like the lows will be above 50.

C:
Tony Levand

Edited by - alevand on 04/17/2019 18:22:26
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1439 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2019 :  20:26:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Check with Oren Wright on cgoab. He lives in Little Rock. He would probably want to ride a little with you.
https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/directory/?o=1mr&user=opwright&v=H

He knows the area very well and is a nice guy.
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3454 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2019 :  08:03:55  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Arkansas is off the bucket list.

https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=1o0&doc_id=21206&v=95

C:
Tony Levand

Edited by - alevand on 04/24/2019 08:04:34
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
6444 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2019 :  12:02:18  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I read the blog, you had another epic journey. I was surprised that it only took 4(?) days. Your bike looks pretty aero. I'd imagine it's a bit more aero than the LWB bike because the wheel is further back. How is the handling in the wind as compared to the LWB bike? Did you end up using the virtual pivot or standard steering?
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3454 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2019 :  13:45:41  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Warren. Actually the last versions of the LWB were faster and more stable at high speeds, rode much smoother and didn't have a problem spinning the front wheel when trying to cross gravely intersections uphill. The SWB FWD is a little lighter, has more room behind the seat, can climb slower, handles corners better. It also has a problem trying to back up with the wheel turned, derailleur gets jammed. With a 58 and 11 it spins out around only 30 mph. I hit a few potholes with it where the front wheel got air. It has a standard 1 inch head tube. The LWB is more forgiving in cross winds, but Ive been blown off the road too. The SWB FWD has big doors on the bottom that's pretty rough, front half for steering back half for steering and feet. The LWB they are separated and the wheel opening can have a movable shroud and doesn't need a wheel enclosure. I think the LWB has lower rolling resistance, due to most of the weigh is on the larger wheel. Turning circle while pedaling is smaller for LWB. Now if I could make a VPS for the LWB with more than +/-30 deg steering.

C:
Tony Levand
Go to Top of Page

Toecutter

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2019 :  14:17:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That was an interesting read. I enjoyed the photos.

You'd have so much fewer problems regarding vehicle dynamics if you had a trike. I think you gave up on them too soon. While I can't compare mine to a 2-wheeled bent since I've never ridden a 2-wheeled bent, I can say that my trike is very stable even going downhill at over 50 mph. I've never had any loss of control or flipping in tens of thousands of miles of riding(the closest to it would be riding like a jackass in a parking lot carelessly getting it up on two wheels while cornering tight and pedaling hard). Then again, I also have front suspension and a 39" front track. I've also ridden a rear-suspended Thunderbolt trike I used to have for a few thousand miles and it had a more narrow 34" front track, but a long wheelbase, and it too was stable at 35 mph downhill going over rough roads and potholes(I never got to take it much faster over similar roads before the front boom sheared apart). You need to try a suspended trike if you want stability. Trikes are awesome for going up hills and when stopped because you don't have any balancing issues.

As for the rain on the tent being loud, a way to mitigate that is to set the tent up underneath a highway overpass, if you can find one with enough area with which to set the tent up and in a secluded enough spot where you won't be bothered(no road with traffic going underneath the highway). Just be aware of the terrain so you don't get flooded.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
www.recumbents.com © 2019 www.recumbents.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000