Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

alevand
human power expert

USA
3389 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2019 :  14:42:42  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Working on the fairing. maybe I'll have to move the thread to velomobiles...

Its really hard to get out of. It needs some side rails so I can lift myself out of it, there's nothing to grab hold of.

C:
Tony Levand

Edited by - alevand on 01/15/2019 17:04:30
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3389 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2019 :  16:57:54  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Test rode 4 miles on a hilly road. Afterward, I changed the granny gear from 28 to a 26 biopace. I ground about 1/16 off the side of crank arm the get the new pedal to seat better. I also changed the crank bolts from hex to allen. So Im not searching for a 9/16 socket wrench to tighten it on the road. Its got the backward rear derailleur, and I am always shifting the wrong way, at inopportune times. I may change it. Fairing also need a little clearance around it. I found that Bolingbrook has plowed the bike trails, but Id have to pack the corovelotrike (CVT) into the van and drive over. Im doing a little gymnastic training so I have the strength to lift myself out of the fairing. It needs a stub tune welded to the boom to act as a foot rung.

C:
Tony Levand

Edited by - alevand on 01/16/2019 17:12:51
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1380 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2019 :  17:48:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You could carry two sticks to help hold you up to get out. Or always park underneath a tree or something and use a grappling hook! Lol.
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3389 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2019 :  08:19:35  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I tried the cane, doesn't help getting out. There would be no problem if the fairing sides could support my weight (134.8 lbs). There is just no room to push up on the seat rails with both arms, I have to twist and push with my toes on the top of the derailleur tube far enough that I can shimmy my behind up the seat back enough to get one knee out from under the handle bars, then turn the steering and get the other knee out without smashing the tail cone above the seat back. There is gravity assist getting in. I think another rung on the boom will help.

C:
Tony Levand

Edited by - alevand on 01/17/2019 08:21:21
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3389 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2019 :  15:02:54  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I changed out the rd-m760 xt derailleur for a Chinese knock off, for now till the new rd-m310 arrives. I need to grind the hanger bolt as it almost touches the chain. Im sealed up the stowage compartment behind the seat. Now I can throw stuff back there and not worry that it'll fall out.

I think I'll mount the magnet and sensor to the left front rotor.

C:
Tony Levand

Edited by - alevand on 01/17/2019 15:07:22
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1380 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2019 :  19:30:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah yes, I forgot where your steering is. I love the side stick tank steering on the slr. I would never get my 210 pounds out from under your steering with a fairing.
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3389 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2019 :  17:40:56  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Made the right wheel disk.

Humm, Ive got this Cuda nose I made last summer, now that the epoxy is finally hard... have to try to get some of the wrinkles out.

C:
Tony Levand

Edited by - alevand on 01/21/2019 20:53:10
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1380 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2019 :  08:25:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks fast Tony. How about using some Bondo or thickened resin or just cover it with yellow spandex or yellow vinyl. Me being lazy as I am, I would go with the spandex.
Go to Top of Page

Toecutter
Starting Member

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2019 :  18:16:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like this.

It will be interesting to see what cruising speed can be maintained as well as top speed reached.

This looks like it may end up being a 40+ mph top speed trike.

The open wheeled design is not as much of an aero penalty as one might think. A drag coefficient in the low 0.2 range should still be theoretically possible. This has potential to be faster than some of the decent commercial velos like the Quest, Mango, or Strada, and will for sure be faster than the unsuspended Rotovelo, all for a lot less money.

I don't know how you can tolerate no suspension though, especially at the speeds that you're used to riding the two-wheeled Carp at.

Edited by - Toecutter on 01/22/2019 18:17:02
Go to Top of Page

Balor
recumbent guru

Russia
697 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2019 :  18:36:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yea, disk wheels with narrow tires is nowhere close to auto wheels, specially those like F1.
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3389 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2019 :  15:33:27  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I epoxied a magnet to the brake disk and mounted the pickup and computer. I put the new brake cables and housings on and test fit the sleeping bag, pad and tent. I decided after testing 20 mph downhill into 22 gusting to 26 wind at 23F, that there is too much buffeting, I will make a shorter nose for it. Cuda nose would be fine on the track, but not touring.

C:
Tony Levand

Edited by - alevand on 01/24/2019 15:38:10
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3389 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2019 :  20:51:23  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I adjusted the rear derailleur, remounted the bike computer so I can see it, and fastened up the rear tail. Still nead a nose and a top or deck. I don't know where Id mount a generator, but it would be nice to have on a trip.

C:
Tony Levand
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3389 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2019 :  13:16:40  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Trike with fairing weighs 46 lbs. Carp without fairing weighs 33 lbs.

C:
Tony Levand
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3389 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2019 :  07:06:10  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I was riding on the bike trail and spun out on ice, tire grabbed in the crunchy snow and I flipped over. Ive had enough of trikes.

C:
Tony Levand

Edited by - alevand on 02/20/2019 07:06:56
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
6402 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2019 :  10:20:15  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ouch! Enough of trikes or enough of riding on the ice?
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1380 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2019 :  20:46:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, it's the trikes fault! LOL. I wonder how it would have been if you were on the Carp instead of the trike when that happened! Hmmmm! --- .. - -.-. ....
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3389 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2019 :  07:28:28  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Delta trike would suit my winter riding better. I didn't mention getting stuck 6 times on the ride, too little weight in back, and that's not my fault. The reason I got the trike is to ride in slippery conditions, and it doesn't work. The trike is sitting until I get the inkling to ride it. Carp is getting studded tires. Upright with studs climbs snowy hill unparalleled, trike has to be carried through both ways.

--- o
.. I
- T
.-.- c
.... H

--... ...--

C:
Tony Levand

Edited by - alevand on 02/22/2019 07:38:15
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1380 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2019 :  08:33:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
.-
--

-

---
..-
-.-.
... ,

--... ...--

My Morse Code is like my mind, missing a few pieces!
Go to Top of Page

Toecutter
Starting Member

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2019 :  02:37:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If stability is the goal, you definitely want a low-slung delta trike, preferably with suspension.

My KMX tadpole is stable in wet,snowy, or icey conditions, but I have the wheels cambered out and the front track is 39". It's width helps, but it definitely hinders efficiency/speed.

Don't give up on this trike yet though. I bet it will be a blast to ride when the weather improves. It would also be much more suited to touring than the carp.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
www.recumbents.com © 2017 www.recumbents.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000