Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1475 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2019 :  10:02:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you and the Carp going to be ready for a tour soon? I have been thinking of an early tour sometime in October from home to Galveston Beach. Then a longer tour in Jan-Feb.
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3541 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2019 :  10:28:12  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Im using the curved panel approach this time, Had creases last time with the flutes latitudinal.

3 more IV ABx to take, Pic line taken out wednesday.

C:
Tony Levand

Edited by - alevand on 09/14/2019 10:30:08
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3541 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2019 :  11:05:13  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I cut the handle bars an inch shorter to fit in the fairing, added paddles for grip. Mounted generator, added front bulkhead(black),stiffened front derailleur mount.

I taped on the top and rode around the parking lot, sandals dint rub.

C:
Tony Levand

Edited by - alevand on 09/29/2019 13:14:32
Go to Top of Page

Balor
recumbent guru

Russia
750 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2019 :  04:13:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Talking of space frames... have you seen Culty trike?
http://www.culty.de/

How here's a 'Find Waldo' type of challenge, count how many stems were used in assembly of this trike!

I think it's pretty neat. This way you can have space frame, and of carbon tubes no less, and it will be 'self-jigging' a well.
How about a bent packs into a golf bag? :) (Sans wheels, of course).
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3541 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2019 :  06:42:46  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I cut a new piece of coroplast for the front, and will try to wrap it as one piece as I did on the trike. I can always go back to the latitudinal top and longitudinal bottom 2 piece.

... well somehow the flutes collapsed making circumferential ridges. probably due to the diamond shaped bucking on the inner wall, causing the curve portion to shrink axially, and the flatter portion responding by forming these ridges....

C:
Tony Levand

Edited by - alevand on 10/01/2019 07:53:48
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
6470 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2019 :  08:39:21  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The 2mm Coroplast is thinner but bends easier...
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3541 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2019 :  13:30:27  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I only have 4mm and 5mm. The two piece seems to be working out. I'll go for a test ride with just the top fastened on to check clearances.

Test ride OK, proceeding with bottom tomorrow

... I put the bottom on, used yellow. I cut my last piece of white with flutes the wrong way.

Test rode it, heals rub.

C:
Tony Levand

Edited by - alevand on 10/02/2019 16:57:19
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3541 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2019 :  10:34:19  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I bench ground off some of the heal on my sandals and dremeled the inside wall of the coroplast where the black marks were. I then hot air gunned the area while pressing in the inside with a rag to make shallow bumps...almost no shoe rub now. I stuck spokes through the middle of the coroplast corrugations and bent them so that the bomb bay doors hold their shape ageist the body.

Fairing needs a nose.

C:
Tony Levand

Edited by - alevand on 10/03/2019 11:31:44
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3541 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2019 :  20:30:41  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Added 2 1 liter water bottle to nose and tube. Started coro nose.

C:
Tony Levand
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3541 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2019 :  07:41:09  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I want to put dual landing gear or retractable outriggers for climbing steep hills and stopping at lights. I think they will go through the bombay doors, but cant impede foot access and egress. They would either be U shaped with the rollers at the ends and pivot at the bottom or be two separate telescoping units, canted to fit under the seat. On the motorcycle Leg Up units, they have a spring loaded wheel, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-b5xFXN4cU. The U shaped one would actuate both but would protude when retracted into the bb door. The dual telescopes wound be wider, but wound actuate separately unless some how connected with a Y cable. These could fit under the seat unobtrusively. I bough a pair of 2 inch urethane castors from Harbor Freight.

C:
Tony Levand

Edited by - alevand on 10/10/2019 07:51:31
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3541 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2019 :  09:34:10  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Made a coronose. I wanted it to have doors so steering isn't limited, but this is how it turned out, left turn limited. No progress on landing gears. tTst ride soon.

... fairing seems fairly neutral with 1.5 liters if water in the nose and nothing in the tail. Adding tour gear will move the CG back adversly affecting cross wind handling. Windy today gusting to 35, 40F. Bike balances when lifted at handlebars. Tools and spares will go in the nose.

C:
Tony Levand

Edited by - alevand on 10/14/2019 06:37:07
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1475 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2019 :  17:58:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good Tony. I am thinking of building a coroplast fairing for my M1! If it works out maybe a CF fairing. I will not use it for the streets or touring though.
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3541 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2019 :  18:50:58  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I made a set of retractable outriggers. I rode down the driveway and down the street and back. The wheels are too small and too hard, especially in gravel. I got stuck with the rear wheel lifted. The springs like the motorcycle legs-up are essential. I need to make them springy or remove one and use the other just as a kick stand.

C:
Tony Levand

Edited by - alevand on 10/18/2019 18:54:15
Go to Top of Page

Garrie L Hill
human power supergeek

USA
1809 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2019 :  23:21:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tony; Rather than wheels at the end of the outriggers, why not use skids ( like on a tail dragger airplane)? You could use a couple strips of UHMW polyethylene .25 thick by 1 wide bent up in front like skis.

Garrie "carbon based lifeform" Hill
HPRA Co-Dictator of the East
for pics of some of my time and money sucking projects
http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g277/cfbb/
and videos
http://vimeo.com/5513519

Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3541 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2019 :  07:41:25  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Gary, Yes I thought of using skids too, it might need a pivot, slightly forward of center to keep it parallel with the ground.. It doesn't help the back wheel in the air problem. I am going to try using Fiberglass rods that are flexible like a cantilever leaf spring, but rigid enough to hold the bike up. The restoring force needed is linearly proportional to lean angle and spring provides a linear force proportional to defection, if I do this just right I'll have a zero gravity bike. A 10 degree lean should need 33 lbs restoring force at the CG, so of the spring can provide 50 lbs it should be able to defect enough when going over a bump to keep the wheels in contact with the ground, in theory anyway.

C:
Tony Levand

Edited by - alevand on 10/19/2019 07:42:56
Go to Top of Page

Garrie L Hill
human power supergeek

USA
1809 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2019 :  15:08:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, sounds like you just need two outrigger pods of Unobtanium ( from the movie Avatar). It just so happens that I can hook you up with some of my private label brand..... Hillium TM

Garrie "carbon based lifeform" Hill
HPRA Co-Dictator of the East
for pics of some of my time and money sucking projects
http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g277/cfbb/
and videos
http://vimeo.com/5513519

Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3541 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2019 :  21:09:20  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, maybe the UHMW flavor Hillium (not to be confused with the inert element Helium).

C:
Tony Levand
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3541 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2019 :  10:14:47  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think the key is to have a compliant outrigger with enough preload to keep the bike upright, and a stop as not to exceed the material strength when the bike leans too far and... oops.

Appears to be interlaminar shear failure in the FRP composite.

C:
Tony Levand

Edited by - alevand on 10/20/2019 10:30:55
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3541 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2019 :  11:24:46  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I gave up on the outriggers. Bike isn't very fast I think there is turbulence under the nose and bottom.

C:
Tony Levand
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1475 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2019 :  11:54:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Heavenly shades of night are falling
It's velomobile Time
Out of the mist your voice is calling
'Tis velomobile time" Hahaha.

Sung to the tune of Twilight Time by The Platters!
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3541 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2019 :  19:34:51  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Been redoing the floor and nose bottom, making more streamlined and rounded, raised floor 1.5 inches to allow more air to flow underneath. It will have some big foot hole bumps or maybe stretchy cloth over them.

C:
Tony Levand

Edited by - alevand on 10/22/2019 19:41:33
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3541 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2019 :  13:32:04  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I made clips to keep the fabric from rubbing on the tire.

C:
Tony Levand
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3541 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2019 :  11:48:27  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bottom is cleaned up. I tried some of Garrie's super tape along the bottom. Need to make a heal bump, made one using a tractor front inner tube as the form. Going to try a test ride first before cutting bigger holes.

... Nashbar sandals are just too wide, Bontrager race shoes the only heals drag. Bike seems faster, hard to tell though. I am going to see if I can get by with only small heal bumps in the bottom. I already ground down the heals on the shoes. I made the bomb bay doors bigger, easier to get in and out, and back up. Need to clean up the derailleur area.

... went for a 26 mile test ride, seems 2mph faster, heals still rubbing...so if its 10% faster, is that a 30% drop in wind drag?

C:
Tony Levand

Edited by - alevand on 10/24/2019 18:59:24
Go to Top of Page

Balor
recumbent guru

Russia
750 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2019 :  03:55:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Depends on your CRR I suppose, what is 'before and after' average speed in absolute values?
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3541 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2019 :  17:19:02  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Every time I ride it I make the heal and knuckle bulges a little bigger. Still rubbing some. I made horizontal slots in my shoe and moved the cleat 3/16 inch, that helped a little the shoe is right up near the crank arm now.

C:
Tony Levand
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
www.recumbents.com © 2019 www.recumbents.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000