Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

alevand
human power expert

USA
3541 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2019 :  18:18:32  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I was just on the Tinley Creek and Cal Sag trails yesterday.

quote:
Originally posted by SpiderMonkey

I don't know if I could do that switchback with any of my bikes without putting one foot down, or two.

Not far from our old place in Palos! Or my other old place in Plainfield.

--SpiderMonkey

C:
Tony Levand
Go to Top of Page

SpiderMonkey
recumbent guru

USA
569 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2019 :  19:25:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We used to ride out of Lake Catharine all the time. I don't recall that the Cal-Sag trail existed back in early 2000s when we were there.

--SpiderMonkey
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3541 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2019 :  07:44:42  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Its been a few years since they put it in runs from Cicero ave in Alsip to 135th st in Romeoville along the canal.

https://www.calsagtrail.org/

C:
Tony Levand

Edited by - alevand on 03/15/2019 07:46:55
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3541 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2019 :  15:37:14  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I changed the front end to 20 in with head tube. Seat is an inch lower and BB 2 inches lower. Linkage is 1:1.

C:
Tony Levand

Edited by - alevand on 04/26/2019 15:38:32
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3541 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2019 :  09:53:45  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It took several iterations this morning to to persuade the old fork's steering axis to be in the center of the tire. Now it rides straight, but not as unhanded as the VPS. Its now reversed as the steering axis is steeper than intended, and too little trail for my liking. Ordered a 26.4 mm crown race as my only one has pits, rest are 27mm. The steep steering axis and reverse fork will make for a shorter nose, but the head tube will stick out farther.

... Front brakes now working, resoldered pickup cable.
C:
Tony Levand

Edited by - alevand on 04/27/2019 16:37:03
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3541 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2019 :  09:42:49  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mounted front shifter front derailleur and computer. Derailleur works, shifts 3 up and 3 down, but rubs on small sprocket. It really needs more low side travel. I bent up a spoke to hold the cycle computer. I could start the front fairing, though I may tweak the seat first.

C:
Tony Levand

Edited by - alevand on 04/30/2019 09:52:50
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3541 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2019 :  11:13:31  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mounted generator on fork.

C:
Tony Levand
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3541 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2019 :  11:43:28  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My toes and heals are rubbing on the fairing. I need to add some bumps. Heating the coroplast and pressing on the inside dosn't work well. Humm...

C:
Tony Levand

Edited by - alevand on 05/20/2019 10:22:38
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3541 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2019 :  13:54:02  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I thought that I could just wrap some coroplast on it and be done, not the case. I had to lower the steering 1.5 inches, now the rod is hitting the v-brake and the brake handle is on the frame, I have to shorten the rod and weld the support back on. Welding helmet barely fits inside.

C:
Tony Levand
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3541 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2019 :  09:52:30  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I bent the steering linkage 1/2 inch to clear my sandal, still seems to be stiff enough. Yesterday a spark fell onto the coroplast and went right through, after a minute I saw a little fire and put it out. A few minutes later it was still burning, like a little candle flame walking along, no smoke, burning its way along the coroplast flutes. Luckily it only burnt and melted one side of the coroplast and dindt go through. Today I used a tee shirt soaked in water to catch any sparks. I think all I need to weld now is a mount for the computer. I want to take it out for a ride today with the makeshift nose. I want to make a nose that opens up in front for steering, that way it can be smaller. There will be about 2 inches of steering before it contacts and opens for sharp turns.

Does anyone know how the birk doors work? They use magnets some how?

C:
Tony Levand

Edited by - alevand on 05/22/2019 09:55:25
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1475 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2019 :  16:48:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v6AMWUkJ6c

http://www.bentrideronline.com/messageboard/showthread.php?t=98091&highlight=peregrin+birk .

I know I read somewhere that he said it had a linkage and handle to close the wings/bomb bay doors.
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3541 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2019 :  19:06:38  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, I saw the videos, I think they they open by pressing with feet or hands past the toggle, and then pulling them closed past the toggle. It looks like a spring hinge. I don't know if there are magnets on the bike frame or not or a closing linkage or cable ormaybe just a handle.. The precision is much more than coroplast could ever be.

C:
Tony Levand
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1475 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2019 :  21:28:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I remember reading about the wings and seeing a video of how they are made and work. This might help.
http://recumbents.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5251&whichpage=2
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3541 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2019 :  07:07:50  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Jerry:

I don't like the idea of having to close the doors manually at takeoff, and how close they are to the ground.

quote:
Here is the upper hinge for the left foot flap. I have added the string and the polycarbonate lever to which the string attachs (hence the poor workmanship). The string allows me to easily close the foot flap. Note the smooth black piece in the centre of this hinge is a carbon spring. This spring makes the foot flap bi-stable. That is stable in the closed position and also stable in the open position.

quote:
Here is the lower hinge for the left foot flap.

If I want to turn the wheel 45 degrees, the door would have to open about 5 inches and if the hinge runs parallel with the steering axis the door would be about 8 inches long to the tire OD, that would be 40 degrees. I want the door to remain closed with wind loading, but yet be easy to push open with the wheel when turning. I don't want any wind loading transferred to the front wheel when riding straight +/- 2 inches steering. I also want to close up the big hole in the bottom aft of the steering axis.

Im thinking of using bungee cords similar to the bomb bay doors, where the bungee is against the hinge when open, has only a small closing moment and is a few inches away when close, thus the closing force is higher when closed than when open. The coroplast has to be reinforced as the bungee puts compression on the door that buckles the coroplast at the hinge.

I may relax the max steering to 40 or 35 degrees.

C:
Tony Levand

Edited by - alevand on 05/23/2019 07:42:01
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
6470 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2019 :  09:09:02  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I used a thick spandex to close the hole on my faired street bike. It just had a slot for the wheel and I pushed it open with my feet. It worked pretty well. You could do something similar but since you don't have to deal with a wheel between your feet you can use one slit on each side to push your feet through. Plus you could always just stomp through it in an emergency stop.

Edited by - warren on 05/23/2019 09:10:44
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1475 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2019 :  14:17:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was wondering if you really wanted bomb bay doors like the Peregrin. You would need either a composite fairing or reinforced frame for coroplast. I like the idea of bungee to close the doors. I would always rip the heavy duty spandex apart when I had slits for foot holes on my liners. I like to see what and how you do yours. I was going to build a liner from my M1 but think I will just get a Milan instead. Three wheels for me is the cats meow!
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3541 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2019 :  15:41:41  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No, Carp is LWB.

I am going to use a trapezoid or called a four bar linkage.

After testing.... what the trapizoid doesn't do is keep the wind from blowing it ageist the tire...two separate doors with a closeing stop is needed.

C:
Tony Levand

Edited by - alevand on 05/23/2019 18:05:17
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3541 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2019 :  20:43:48  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I removed the iterum nose and I fabed and welded the movable front wheel skirt frame to the fork today.

C:
Tony Levand
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3541 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2019 :  16:15:38  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have tweaking the Carp de Jour mechanicals in prep for the fall touring season. Am at the point to start installing the fairing back on.

C:
Tony Levand
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3541 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2019 :  09:22:17  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I dented the frame with a hammer to make clearance for the derailleur to shift to the granny gear reliably. Now the bike has a wobble.

C:
Tony Levand

Edited by - alevand on 09/08/2019 09:22:38
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3541 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2019 :  08:27:18  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I welded on a doubler to stiffen the frame near the crank. Now it start to shimmy at 17 mph instead of 15. Though yesterday I could ride 19 mph no handed with out it wobbling after removing the fairing support.

C:
Tony Levand
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
6470 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2019 :  10:23:04  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Other than frame flex, the two things that I have found contribute to shimmy are too much trail and loose headset.
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3541 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2019 :  11:23:49  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ive tried changing trail on a previous bike with a wobble and it didn't make a difference, same onset and frequency. I could put more rake in the fork to make it 3 inches trail,it would be just about straight, zero rake.

I'll check to see it the steering axis is still in the center of the tire. Headset is OK. Trail is a little excessive, 4 in, but I like how it goes straight. I may try to lighten up the moving skirt, Ive got a 3/8 steel brake line running horizontally the front wheel, attached to the fork. It could be aluminum.

C:
Tony Levand
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
6470 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2019 :  07:38:55  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I had to fix the torsional rotation problem on my stream liner to get rid of the wobble.
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3541 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2019 :  08:39:03  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sounds logical. The doubler didn't help as much as I thought, probably due to the 1/2 power of k/m and clearance for the left crank arm.

C:
Tony Levand
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
www.recumbents.com © 2019 www.recumbents.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000