New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

CharlesMBrown
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2018 :  16:41:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Iíve sometimes thought of building a velomobile, but I have concerns of riding such a thing in traffic. What if the rider were encased in some sort of roll cage, using a seatbelt, and the cage was made to double as the framework. The roll cage members would be positioned so that the cranks, seat, suspension mountings, etc. would bolt right to it. Has anyone else been thinking along the same lines?

carolina
human power supergeek

USA
1030 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2018 :  18:11:23  Show Profile  Visit carolina's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Heavy!

I use cf. many crashes in velo unibodies. They walk away.

Look at challenger velomobile. A trike with a shell kit setting on it.

velosRus.com
Go to Top of Page

CharlesMBrown
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2018 :  17:23:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To me, velomobiles look scary to use on public roads populated mostly by somnambulent drivers in SUVís. It seems to me that in a collision with a vehicle of over 10x your gross vehicle weight, you are likely to come out second best. I keep dreaming up vehicles with Mad Max spikes all over them, to go with the Ben Hur wheels. Has any studying been done to come up with a safer velomobile?
Go to Top of Page

carolina
human power supergeek

USA
1030 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2018 :  21:21:11  Show Profile  Visit carolina's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Maybe you should get a boat.

velosRus.com
Go to Top of Page

CharlesMBrown
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2018 :  06:06:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alternatively I could put giant wheels on the thing, jack myself way up, and simply roll over the other traffic- traffic jams would be a thing of the past!
Go to Top of Page

CharlesMBrown
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2018 :  06:09:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alternatively I could put giant wheels on the thing, jack myself way up, and simply roll over the other traffic- traffic jams would be a thing of the past!
Go to Top of Page

runcyclexcski
Starting Member

United Kingdom
35 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2018 :  08:12:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am struggling with the same design question (safety in idiot traffic). I see that if I get directly crushed by a truck/car, there is no hope anyway (as well as there is no hope inside a Fiesta if directly crushed by a truck). However, since HPVs are light, I think a more likely scenario is getting airborne and rolling multiple times before coming to a stop. In that case, a roll cage, a seat belt, and a helmet should help (as evidenced from plentiful utube videos of Sprint Car crashes).

The weight of a roll bar is a concern, but my extra belly weight is more of a concern (10 kilos). My current line of thought is to get a Ti pipe from Titanium Joe in Canada. I've been using his 25 mm 1.5 mm wall pipes as heavy duty walking staffs in the mountains for 10 years now. A 1.5 meter pipe of the above ID/wall from TJ costs $150, weighs about 700 grams, as checked on my scales (consistent with the density of Titanium at 4200 kg/m3). One can get a 3 m pipe and bend it a smooth arch. I say, not bad as an insurance policy, for the weight of two water bottles, or two full bladders.

runcyclexcski
Go to Top of Page

runcyclexcski
Starting Member

United Kingdom
35 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2018 :  09:17:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is tongue in cheek (somewhat), but... this thing is 10 lbs only, no rollbar/cage necessary anymore, and you can't beat the badass looks!

https://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorsport/seats/kirkey-lightweight-sprint-deluxe

P.S. quite amazing that even isnane sprint cars are a bigger market than velos. If this thing was a part of a velo, probably, would cost $2000.

Edited by - runcyclexcski on 06/10/2018 09:19:08
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
www.recumbents.com © 2019 www.recumbents.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000