New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

runcyclexcski
Starting Member

United Kingdom
35 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2018 :  08:43:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has anyone tried standard wind screens for cruiser motorcycles? One can get one for under 100 USD/GBP/EU. Plus, they are (supposed to be) rated to be highway-tested, as opposed to some gizmo I blow using a resistive heater. If it breaks -> go and grab another one on ebay.

While reading up on DIY velomobile builds, I keep coming across elaborate schematics on how to bubble-blow acrylics, conical wraps, etc. I find this to be too elaborate and time consuming, with unpreditable results? I think I should try to use as much as possible of of the shelf components, as anything 'custom' brings the costs to the 10K only a few fanatics can afford. A moto wind shield may not be exactly 'the' perfect teardrop shape we want, but if it's a 20% reduction in perfomance at 3x savings in overall cost (by using standard components), I'd go for the standard components.

runcyclexcski

carolina
human power supergeek

USA
1059 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2018 :  12:21:14  Show Profile  Visit carolina's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Are u building a velomobile? Full canopy? Have any pics? This is conversaton for general section probably. Warren and others have the answers.

velosRus.com
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
6454 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2018 :  12:54:21  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Moto windshields are likely heavier and smaller than is practical for a velomobile, but let us know if you find something that would work!
Go to Top of Page

runcyclexcski
Starting Member

United Kingdom
35 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2018 :  13:49:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am not buildy-building yet, I am doing what I would consider "fundemental research" -- learning to build small parts which also can be re-used for other purposes, e.g. composite panels, tubes, etc. It appears that the shell and the windshield are the two parts of the velo that make velos expensive/time consuming/not_mainstream. I have some ideas about the shell (how to make it out of modular parts which can be reused for other projects, rather than a monocoque), but so far I had no idea how to make the windshield for cheap. I agree with the weight point, but since the windshield would be in front of the most useful part of the body (the brain) I am happy to go for more protection at the expense of weight. BTW most of the weigh is in my belly anyway.

The 'long-term project' is a volomobile-inspired enclosed e-bike. I think the design points are mostly the same -- light weight, small frontal area, tadpole trike, rear wheel drive. The rear wheel is a hub motor which can be removed and replaced with a chain drive if one is in an HPV mood (e.g. nice and sunny out), and installed back when one is in a miserable commute mood (rainy and grim, which is 90% the time in the UK). Ditto on the battery (removable).

runcyclexcski
Go to Top of Page

Grant-53
recumbent guru

USA
554 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2018 :  11:31:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I tried that 30 years ago with marginal success. I would check out the canopy of a sailplane.
Go to Top of Page

runcyclexcski
Starting Member

United Kingdom
35 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2018 :  07:55:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Grant, what was the issue? E.g. was it the odd shape that was hard to fit around?

Can you suggest a manufacturer for canopies? Last time I checked I found them rather expensive. Ideally, I am looking to make the windshield and the side windows separate, as in a convertible (to be able to ride with the top off in hot/nice weather). The front is what the moto one would be used for (and that's the one I am not capable of making reproducibly). The side ones would be made from a curved acrylic sheet (and that I am capable of).

I also looked into acrylic display half-spheres. I did not like the spherical shape (I would rather have a 1/2 ellipsoid), and I did not like the cost (3-4x higher than the moto screens)

runcyclexcski
Go to Top of Page

runcyclexcski
Starting Member

United Kingdom
35 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2018 :  07:56:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warren

Moto windshields are likely heavier and smaller than is practical for a velomobile, but let us know if you find something that would work!

Warren, specs I came across mentioned 3/16 thick acrylic and 3 kilos (6 lbs) in weight. Sounds reasonable, no?

runcyclexcski
Go to Top of Page

Grant-53
recumbent guru

USA
554 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2018 :  14:27:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The shape is the big issue since they are designed for a upright frame. If you can get by with a simple half cone form then a thin sheet clear material would do. Coroplast is listing a new clear product. Take a look at some aircraft paper models for shapes. Decide how much stone protection you want.
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
6454 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2018 :  18:36:18  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That sounds very heavy to me!
Go to Top of Page

carolina
human power supergeek

USA
1059 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2018 :  19:07:09  Show Profile  Visit carolina's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Warren taught me petg slight thinner than 1/16. I love it.

velosRus.com
Go to Top of Page

Grant-53
recumbent guru

USA
554 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2018 :  16:08:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Check into snowmobile windscreens also. See carolina's velo.
Go to Top of Page

runcyclexcski
Starting Member

United Kingdom
35 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2018 :  10:57:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A good compromise might be to get a 1/18 or 1/16 polycarb sheet (is there anything better on the market?), and bend it into a half-ellipse shape. This way I get the teardrop/ellipse facing the front. The sides will be flat, but bending a sheet into a 2D ellipse is not possible (except vacuum blow?

runcyclexcski
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
www.recumbents.com © 2019 www.recumbents.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000