Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1475 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2015 :  07:35:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Grant-53. I have tried several with adverse affects. My new med seems to be working.
Go to Top of Page

PUGZCAT
recumbent enthusiast

Canada
466 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2015 :  07:53:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Once everybody gets off their current runs of medication, try 40 Creek Canadian Rye Whiskey, it's really yummy and will smooth you out.
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1475 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2015 :  11:54:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't drink alcohol with the blood thinners and stuff, but 2nd hand hemp smoke is good for the soul! lol
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3541 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2015 :  14:20:37  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I need to finish the brake, adjust the front end, it was pulling to the right and redo the steering. I want to make the axis more vertical, now is parallel with the steering axis. This will allow more steering before hitting the top of the fairing and may allow the fairing to be a little lower, helping visibility. I may narrow the bars and inch on each side too. I need to reroute the rear deraillier and brake cables. Then I can start thinking about the yellow coro fairing after I clean up the chain and chain tubes. Then, I can start planning my next trip, maybe riding south over the holiday break.

C:
Tony Levand
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1475 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2015 :  14:43:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like you have it going your way. How far south? I always wanted to do the Natchez Trace Parkway. No stop signs or traffic lights, no commercial traffic, and a 50 mph speed limit. 444 miles from the Loveless Cafe outside of Nashville, TN to Natchez, MS. If I get the Phantom done by 1st week of December, I might go then. I have to wait until after Dec. 4th, getting new counter tops for the wife for Christmas on the 4th.
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3541 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2015 :  17:05:15  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The Trace is really nice, I tried riding it a few years ago just after Christmas, but had tendon problems and gave up the second day out. It depends on what the weather is, if its warm enough I'll start from home. I could get 9 or so days of riding in. One problem on the Trace I haven't figured out is how to get back to the car at the other end, 400 mile away carrying a street liner..I put a add in Craigslist for a ride, one guy answered but had a small geo car. Could ride the length of Illinois and join the MRT in Cairo and ride to New Orleans. Have to have a bike first.

https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=tS&doc_id=13461&v=5F

C:
Tony Levand

Edited by - alevand on 11/12/2015 17:12:20
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1475 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2015 :  18:59:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I read that journal, just forgot as usual! When I go, I'll leave my car close to the Trace, maybe at the visitor center near the northern end. Ride to Natchez and rent a minivan and drive back to car. I have the latest edition of the MRT. If you want it, you can have it.
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3541 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2015 :  04:00:32  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Please post your tour progress either on the touring section this site or elsewhere. It's hard to post pictures here. ACA has on line MRT maps, I usually go with a GPS route, beeps when I need to turn. Its funny but New Orleans has an hour and fifteen minutes more daylight than Chicago in December.

C:
Tony Levand

Edited by - alevand on 11/13/2015 04:01:03
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1475 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2015 :  05:16:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No problem Tony.
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3541 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2015 :  04:30:26  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Planning to make some progress today and test ride.

Got the front brake working satisfactory after a few frustrating tries. The noodle flicked off the end of the cable housing, flew across the garage and into a pile of stuff, never to be found again. Spliced the dérailleur cable back after I cut it with the grinder. Reattached the wheel sensor and cable. Calibration is 2136 according to Sheldon Brown. Now to redo the rear seat mount and then a test spin.

C:
Tony Levand

Edited by - alevand on 11/14/2015 10:53:46
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
3835 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2015 :  14:26:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tony, I think your brake noodle is under my milling machine. There is a bunch of stuff under there I don't remember losing. There is obviously a multidimensional portal between our shops. If any of my lost bits show up in your shop please let me know.
How did the test ride go?
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1475 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2015 :  14:50:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like my shop too!
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3541 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2015 :  16:00:44  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Brake noodle:

I have a video on the brake testing, up loading... The braking forces on the links are torquing the fork tubes, I can see them move and the front end raises up a little. Not a rigid as I would like, the front wheel chatters when skidding at full brake lock. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gMj_kDiVkk

Went for a 32 miles test ride, nice sunset:

I want to comment on the steering. First is still pulls to the right. I need to carefully check the linkages, It may be welded slightly off.

I had the bike up to 39 mph and maybe Bob Horn can comment on how his motorcycle handles, but there is much less feedback than the 451 wheel and normal fork with half the amount of trail. Before I would lean into the turn, but now I need to steer. I could be that the rod ends are still tight with friction, but I don't think so. With 7 inches of trail on a normal fork there would be plenty of flop, there was flop with 3 inches. This set up is the opposite, at large steering angles, the fork wants to straighten out, even standing still. I have to put a lot of force to make sharp turns. This probably has to do with the weight and inclination. I probably need a steeper steerer angle.

The 90 degrees steerng is more that I had with the 451 wheel sticking out of the fairing, I could make is slightly less, which would help the skid chatter. There would be less forces from weight on the links too.

C:
Tony Levand

Edited by - alevand on 11/14/2015 16:33:17
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1475 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2015 :  16:39:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cool video, cool bike Tony. No hands, incredible!
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3541 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2015 :  18:41:29  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am thinking of cutting the arms off and connecting the links directly to the fork, though it will increase the trail quite a bit. Maybe I'll just connect them to the fork first, try it, and then maybe cut them off. I could ride the bike no hands with the normal fork too.

C:
Tony Levand

Edited by - alevand on 11/14/2015 18:43:20
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3541 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2015 :  18:57:17  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have the arms adjusted so the virtual axis is in the center of the tire when straight ahead. I think The link pivots are welded off, not exactly symmetrical, so forces from weight are not exactly balanced. Calculated 240 lbs on the links (120 each) from braking. Oh, I didn't think about toggling. Can't really reinforce the crescents, pedals are there.

C:
Tony Levand
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
3835 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2015 :  23:36:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is some solid work. I was excited to see Tony build what I passed on in 2007. Awesome to see it work. Very nice seeing Bob lend his expertise.
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1475 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2015 :  05:25:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was going to ask how the ball joint was attached. But, I went back and read the original post and read how it was done. My hat is off to Tony and Rohorn.
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3541 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2015 :  06:12:10  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The ball joint at the top is steel and is a 3/8 female rod end with the threads cut off and welded to the fork. On the frame side there is 1 1/4 x .035 tubing with 2 washers welded on each side and drilled through. A 3/8 x 2 coiled spring pin goes through the tube and ball joint. I have to put glow plugs in the bobcat,start it and move some logs this morning and then pressure wash it down. I may get to the bike this afternoon.

C:
Tony Levand
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1475 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2015 :  06:35:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was wondering how to keep the ball joint from floating, welding was my 1st thought. Thanks for the info. I'll be glad when I get back home to work on my bikes!
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3541 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2015 :  10:54:09  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The rod end on left side of the crescent was 1/4 inch closer and 1/2 inch lower than the other side. I massaged it and now it's riding straight, no pulling. I put the new rod ends in and lengthened the rods 1/2 inch. Thinking there would be more trial, but the opposite, less force needed for sharp turns. I can triangulate the rod end mount which would be much stiffer then the crescents.

C:
Tony Levand
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1475 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2015 :  13:33:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent! New video when you get time for riding it.
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3541 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2015 :  13:56:05  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have 60 miles on it now. It rides great except for one feature that Bob eluded to, is while braking and steering simultaneously, the front wheel wants to go to full steering lock. I can imagine careening down a twisty valley, fully loaded with the fairing and having to brake hard, and the front wheel goes to full steering lock. It probably would not be as bad if the links were lower down, but that would limit steering. I am not sure where to proceed to from here. it would be fine for a track or battle mountain bike but for street riding, I need the turning radius and I need to brake in sharp turns.

Video uploading: https://youtu.be/T5FkyB62t_I

C:
Tony Levand

Edited by - alevand on 11/15/2015 13:57:22
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1475 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2015 :  14:43:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Scary! I coud imagine the 20% grade with a very sharp left then right s-curve that I ride. One lane bridge at the part of curve with a steel guard rail. Ouch!
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3541 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2015 :  15:35:03  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In a car suspension it's call a scrub radius, the distance from the king pin axis to tire center, so I guess in this case it could be called virtual scrub radius.

C:
Tony Levand
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
www.recumbents.com © 2019 www.recumbents.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000