Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1475 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2015 :  04:22:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As in this picture.

[URL=http://s1113.photobucket.com/user/ExclusiveSeniorPhotography/media/DSC_0089-2.jpg.html][/URL]

Edited by - Jerry on 11/10/2015 04:23:13
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3541 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2015 :  07:15:05  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I suspect the both motorcycles have about the same amount of trail as the Carp, 7 inches.

C:
Tony Levand

Edited by - alevand on 11/10/2015 07:17:39
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1475 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2015 :  08:02:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All looks good. Hands free should tell me it is okay! Can you adjust the linkages on either side, so it doesn't pull to one side? Didn't look like it was too far off in the video.
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1475 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2015 :  09:32:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't want to steal this post, but way cool motorcycles! Wish you all the best luck.

Jerry
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
3835 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2015 :  09:59:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't let the perceived angle of the fork blades trick you into thinking you know what the virtual headtube angle is. As we already know, it is how the links swing the fork that create the trail. Nice to see Rohorn post (I couldn't remember his name). Notice how his recumbent race mototcycle's fork is very steep, but that doesn't mean that is how it acts.
Yes Tony, I figured that was why you moved your links up. Gotta get around that big wheel somehow without having your links attaching point sticking way out to the side.
You can sent me all the Snickers Bars you want, but anytime I see a thread breaking the laws of physics I'm not gonna sugar coat my post as I try to pull it back to the real world. Nobody likes being told they are off track, it's human nature. Actually, I appreciate it. And if you go back you will find instances where I happily, never angrily, fess up to being wrong. If you can't handle peer review you shouldn't post your ideas or work. There are good ideas (that work favorably with physics) and there are poor ideas (those that violate physics). Don't expect praise when you are less than correct. And there is good craftmanship and poor. This is more subjective, but if your frame or fairing looks like a grade school art project you should be realistic in what kind of reaction to expect.
But, if you work with the process and don't get your panties in a bunch you will probably benefit. Look at how many people have "seen the light" thru these discussions, even with my less than sugar coated posts. Take Shel's prone bent design. He started years ago on something that looked very cool. He hadn't been around people who had built them and seen how cool they aren't. Now he has switched to what looks like it is going to be a terrific looking and riding bent. I could have rubbed his back, purred to him, and lied to hi about what a great design he had, but what good would that have been? Actually, I believe I know what might have happened because I've seen it before. His prone would have been disappointing, his joy would be lost, and we might never had heard from him again. As it is he will have many happy recumbent years ahead.
If you think I do this to stroke my ego you are dead wrong. I do it, and weather many veiled insults, to help the sport. You know that group I talk of coaching? The one that wins races, sets world records, and won 2 UMCA national championships this year, I do it for FREE (okay, now I am bragging. But the guys did the riding, not me). So, do you want me to give it to you straight, or powder your behind and tell you you're a genius?
I tried to watch Big Bang Theory once, but I felt my already meager IQ being sucked even lower. But I heard that super hot blonde is available, so if you'd send her instead of Snicker Bars I'd really appreciate it!
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3541 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2015 :  10:01:30  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Before trying the virtual pivot, I tried a front end like Dirt Surfer on a mule, I had a ball joint just in front of the tire 3 inches off the ground. The front wheel didn't steer very far from lock to lock, curbs were a problem.

C:
Tony Levand
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
3835 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2015 :  10:31:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is that the scooter than doesn't use handlebars?
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3541 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2015 :  11:10:05  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvkQzqOWmrs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KujHkcklsKM

C:
Tony Levand

Edited by - alevand on 11/10/2015 17:17:06
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
3835 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2015 :  11:17:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah!
Go to Top of Page

Grant-53
recumbent guru

USA
554 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2015 :  12:49:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was searching for the right word instead of 'linear' and 'proportional' would be better. If I follow what is happening the fork moves back and forth as well as side to side as the trailing link angles change. Steering input moves the fork back and a bit to the side as the fork rotates. The steering axis becomes more vertical fore and aft so the steering feels more responsive. The wife allows Snickers.
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3541 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2015 :  14:51:17  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
New chain idler, I used 5/8 x .035 4130 tubing for the shaft. I made the keeper from .010 stainless shim stock, full hard.

Welded on brake bosses, amazed how much it can move out of wack when welding..

C:
Tony Levand

Edited by - alevand on 11/10/2015 17:00:39
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
3835 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2015 :  16:44:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice Tony. Probably lighter than the 1/2 bolt use overbuild with. What keeps it on there?
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3541 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2015 :  17:07:01  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I swagged the tube out a little on the ends. I suppose it will find it's own center.

C:
Tony Levand
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1475 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2015 :  17:15:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The motorcycle in the picture I posted looks vertical to me. Of course I don't have the years of stroking my ego. I'll bring my grade school looking fairing to a race next year. You take all your training and knowledge and building prowess and show up. I will train myself. No wonder the sport is in decline, with a great spokesman like you.

Man, I have been a champion Professional arm wrestler, all conference linebacker, punter, place kicker, golden gloves, power lifter, track star, olympic lifter, and more. I just don't need to brag about myself all the time and put everyone down. I am 63, 5'-10 and weigh about 215. Not a whole lotta body fat either. Bicycle riding is just another hobby. Apparently it is your whole life. Why not try to be a champion of the sport like Warren? He shares his vast knowledge with dignity.

And who and the hell made you the forum Nazi? Telling people not to post if they don't have anything to bring. Or don't have the correct answer. You sir, are an egotistical big mouth. This will be my last post. I'll just show up next year. Hope you are there.
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
3835 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2015 :  18:14:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Easy Jerry! I sure didn't mean you! I complimented your effort. Are you a bit touchy about it? I just said raise the bottom up. If it makes you feel better we can arm wrestle. It will be like that scene from that scary movie "The Fly". It'll be my skinny arm that snaps. Better yet, go back to 1991 and look at my first fairing. It was sheet aluminum! With sharp edges! If I had crashed it would have cut my head off. And I didn't get all peeved when it was pointed out how ridiculous it was. Now, if you think your own fairing isn't a thing of beauty, just make the next one better. And stop frightening me with your impressive physical description. This ain't pro wrestling. The rest of us cyclist are pencil neck bent riders(or at least I am).
Go to Top of Page

PUGZCAT
recumbent enthusiast

Canada
466 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2015 :  18:51:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tony did you use the Dirt Surfer front end setup with a steering linkage or pure lean steer? If steering linkage, I would think you would have to muscle thru the low point self centering properties to change direction.
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
3835 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2015 :  19:24:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tony I sure with you had video of the dirt surfer front end test. Could you pedal hard and be stable. Would a damper help? Would it work as a track bike? Imagine how aero you could be if you didn't have to steer?
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
3835 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2015 :  20:47:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What Bob calls 19 degree cyclists call 71. 4 inches of trail is slightly more than most bicycles(his is a race motorcycle!), but these figures are right in line with conventional bike geometry. And the fact his machine is competitive shows the effectiveness of proper geometry.
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3541 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2015 :  03:34:50  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi, It was probably 12 years ago that I made the Dirt Surfer mule, I don't think I had a linkage on it, I just pushed it around the block a few times and abandoned it. The long wheel base made for a big turning radius, about twice that of a normal fork. What was nice it the front of the tire would have remained inside the pointy fairing.

I have to cut and reweld the left brake boss, it moved during welding. I like to put them as close together as possible this makes the pads contact though a more normal arc, but still get the rim through, have to deflate the tire to do so.

Jerry, take a pen cap between your index fingers. The pen cap is the fork and fingers are the links.

C:
Tony Levand

Edited by - alevand on 11/11/2015 03:38:58
Go to Top of Page

shooky56
recumbent guru

USA
545 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2015 :  05:28:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pen Cap: Excellent analogy sir!

Unfortunately I drove my pen off the desk...
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1475 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2015 :  17:35:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tony, Thom, and everyone, again I have to apologize. I am not making any excuses. But I am on a lot of medication and they put me on a couple of more. Makes me highly aggressive. They took me off some and changed them around. I just ate a Snickers and fell better. Seriously though, I am now on anxiety medication.

Rohorn, thanks for your explanation and the link to neat site.

Thanks Tony, that helps to visualize. You might try an old welders trick. When you have something to weld, and it is critical that it doesn't move, use copper close to the joint to dissipate the heat. I have used thin copper sheets and wrapped it around thin gauge tubing with it as close to the weld as possible. If you have a tig welder handy, you can really control the heat. You can place copper on the piece to be welded also.
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
3835 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2015 :  19:20:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good to have you back. Keep working on your projects and riding.
Go to Top of Page

Grant-53
recumbent guru

USA
554 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2015 :  19:30:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anxiety medicine is tricky stuff. I know first hand. Welcome back.
Go to Top of Page

alevand
human power expert

USA
3541 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2015 :  03:23:06  Show Profile  Visit alevand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I fixed the brake boss and mounted the front brake. I need to make a custom, longer noodle holder so the cable can run closer to the frame and a smaller arc radius when turning. I may run the cable on the steering rod.

C:
Tony Levand
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
human power supergeek

USA
1475 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2015 :  04:00:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like you have the Carp about ready to go.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
www.recumbents.com © 2019 www.recumbents.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000