Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jean-Charles Gosselin
Starting Member

France
23 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2014 :  15:37:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear HPV enthusiasts,
I have some great news from France! As mentioned in a previous thread, we are about to be able to set up a 'full' HPV event in Paris. We are currently expecting a written letter from the mayor's office but negotiations are in a good way now. While we are still looking for more money to be able to participate to all top team travel expenses and accommodation, we have already found enough sponsors to announce the event.

It is now very likely to be organized after Battle Mountain 2015, on September 26th and 27th. It the weather permits, the event will open on a Human Power flight demonstration on Friday 25th in the evening.

We would have:
- land races along the Seine (at least two speed races and a criterium)
- water races on the Seine (sprint, slalom, acceleration, long range distance)
- flight demonstrations or races (a race will require at least 4 HP Aircrafts) next to Paris
- a commercial and non commercial exhibition showing the audience all kinds of HPV (recumbents, velomobiles, trikes, foldables, cargo bikes, probably solar bikes, water bikes, university work etc.)
- an audience! (the sites will be chosen in order to get as much audience as possible and we will work on it)

Here is the (gorgeous) site for the land speed races:
https://www.google.fr/maps/@48.840617,2.2683896,3a,75y,37.73h,90.35t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sGD-WVn80DDQmnS9WT0L2Hg!2e0

Barbara Buatois is officially supporting our event and she will test this road with her Varna to ensure it is safe enough to be ridden at high speed. So far, we haven't been able to ride it with our HPV as it is an expressway forbidden to bicycles.

The story of this event is the ONU climate conferences will be held in Paris next year and our sponsors bet we should catch the media attention with our non polluting and fast vehicles. Then, we have also joined the European Mobility Week program in order to promote HPV as an improving and already efficient way of transportation.

We hope the WHPSC participants will have enough time to recover from the jet lag and join our event. We also hope to get enough money to invite you.

A good way to make it true would be that you write us a few supporting words we could mention in our sponsor booklet. Actually, our sponsors really need to feel they are putting money in an international event. So any help is welcome!

If you are interested in joining our event, please also tell us so and ideally send us a few links with your references (top speed or ranking) and pictures.

Looking forward to seeing you in Paris!
Jean-Charles Gosselin
France-HPV president

2015/02/12 edit: event is now likely to happen in October

Edited by - Jean-Charles Gosselin on 02/12/2015 14:46:08

jdub
recumbent enthusiast

United Kingdom
204 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2014 :  16:41:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi JC, I expect I will be there, as helper or observer. I will ask Alan Grace, the Liverpool team and Miles Kingsbury. You can find some of my history with a web search. Maybe more on protobikes.com. Sherri Donaldson may also be interested in helping out.

Sounds really good.

Bests - Jonathan Woolrich

...got the T-shirt. http://protobikes.org/
http://s1127.photobucket.com/albums/l638/Protobikes

Edited by - jdub on 11/25/2014 16:43:03
Go to Top of Page

Upright Mike
human power expert

USA
3800 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2014 :  18:29:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Jean Charles. This sounds like an exciting event. I do not expect I would be able to attend. I have never been overseas - yet!
One question... is the first photo in the link above, showing the road course that is to be used for the high-speed events? It is the Voie Georges Pompidou road or freeway. There is a wall on one side and a guardrail and river on the other side. This does not seem ideal for a streamliner to race.

Go to Top of Page

Jean-Charles Gosselin
Starting Member

France
23 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2014 :  12:14:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Jonathan, hi Mike,
Thank you both for your feedback. I am really looking forward to seeing all of you in Paris.

To answer Mike's question, the Voie Georges Pompidou is a freeway that is 7.4 m / 25 feet wide. It the fastest road for cars and motorcycles in Paris downtown but we agree there will be no World record set during the event... But I think it is pretty good to get a lot of public watching us and also have very nice TV pictures with the Eiffel tower and the Seine river.

As I mentioned in my first post, we will test ride the Voie Georges Pompidou with Barbara's Varna and with my Nilgo II to ensure it is safe enough.
Go to Top of Page

hylke van grieken
Starting Member

Netherlands
1 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2014 :  02:35:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hello Jean-Charles,

Im part of this year's HUMAN POWER TEAM Delft Amsterdam.
We are working towards the WHPSC of 2015, but this sounds like a great event.
If you have any more details you could share please let me know.
I have passed this on to the Team Manager, Karlien Kleissen, to look into this.

I think this would be a great event to join just after WHPSC, i will tell the team about this.

Go to Top of Page

delcrossv
recumbent guru

Vanuatu
812 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2014 :  12:02:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome Hylke! Looking forward to seeing you at BM next year.
Go to Top of Page

Jean-Charles Gosselin
Starting Member

France
23 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2014 :  05:11:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Hylke, hi everybody,
I am so exited to announce we have just received a letter from the Paris Town Hall allowing us to organize the event in their city!
However, the date is not confirmed. It will be defined in January.
If Delft is OK with September 26-27th, we'll try to get this weekend. I am sure many people here would like to see the World fastest HPVs coming to Paris!
It also sounds a good idea that a bunch of people join Paris after getting to Battle Mountain, making a link between Europe and America.

I hope I will soon get back to you to confirm the dates.

Go to Top of Page

Jean-Charles Gosselin
Starting Member

France
23 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2015 :  15:37:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi there,
Here are just a few words to inform you we have an appointment next Friday at the Town Hall of Paris to set up the possible dates and places for the HPV races and exhibitions. We'll keep you posted!

Edited by - Jean-Charles Gosselin on 01/25/2015 15:38:21
Go to Top of Page

AlG
Starting Member

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2015 :  02:13:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Jean Charles,

I would love to attend the event. I hope to have a new arm powered streamliner built by then. I will pass the information onto Plymouth University who have a team building an arm powered bike for Battle Mountain as I'm sure they would be interested too.

Kind regards, Alan
Go to Top of Page

Jean-Charles Gosselin
Starting Member

France
23 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2015 :  18:42:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi there,
A few words to inform you we had a meeting at the Town Hall of Paris last week. They are in!

Regarding the date, we are back in October. The event is now very likely to be held on 3-4th or 10-11th of October. They are to confirm 'soon'...
They mentioned we could use both right and left bank city highways next to the Seine river (the French 'voies sur berge').

We still have to define where the HP boats could race. We mentioned the Seine river in the morning and the 'canal Saint-Martin' in the afternoon (it won't be possible to race on the Seine river in the afternoon due to boat traffic). The 'canal Saint-Martin' is a very touristic place, located in Paris downtown with a still water. So it is really great too.

The City Hall is interested in a HP Aircraft demonstration in Paris downtown. We are currently studying where we could do it.

Thank you Alan for your interest. The arm powered vehicles are definitely welcome! We are looking forward to seeing you breaking the speed limits! ;-)

Best Regards,
Jean-Charles

Edited by - Jean-Charles Gosselin on 02/09/2015 18:44:32
Go to Top of Page

Jean-Charles Gosselin
Starting Member

France
23 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2015 :  07:52:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello everybody,
We have news regarding the Paris event. As the city is organizing the first car free day on September 27th, we all think it will be easier to organize HPV races this weekend.
So we are back in September, one week after the end of Battle Mountain.
It is likely to be tremendous with all the bikes in Paris. Two mayor deputies said we can use THE CHAMPS ELYSEES (!!) to organize land races. We'll also allowed to use the express roads along the Seine for the speed event.
Now we have the dates, we are looking for an airport track around Paris for the flying HPV and maybe another set of speed races for land vehicles.
The water HPV are still expected to use the Seine river in the morning and the 'canal Saint-Martin' in the afternoon.
We are expecting a formal letter to confirm we'll 'have' the Champs Elysées but it is turning to be a unique and really exciting event!
We'll keep you informed as soon as we can.
Go to Top of Page

Papa Dave
dave5000

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2015 :  18:20:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello International racers,
I am interested in attending the Paris exhibition following the Battle Mountain race this year. What airlines do you guys use to get to the USA and how much have they been charging to ship your streamliner with the flight?
Thank you,
Dave Sianez
Go to Top of Page

neil hood
Starting Member

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2015 :  14:25:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Jean Charles
I would like to attend and ride look forward to see updates if streamliners are safe to ride round the course,sounds like a great event all the best
Neil hood
Go to Top of Page

atlas_shrugged
Starting Member

United Kingdom
10 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2015 :  12:11:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jean-Charles

I would like to attend this event. Would it be possible to provide a link to the web page for this event. This web page would provide dates and directions as well as any last minute instructions. I can then use this link to raise interest from the cycling campaign in my own home town in the UK. If the page is in French that is OK we can translate it.

Thanks

Brian.
Go to Top of Page

stuartkeates
Starting Member

United Kingdom
1 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2015 :  06:39:10  Show Profile  Visit stuartkeates's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Any news? it seems to have gone very quiet here. I want to book my ticket!

Stuart
Go to Top of Page

yowie
Starting Member

United Kingdom
1 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2015 :  16:14:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It looks to be on hold this event. I cannot see anything via google, nor anything enlightening on velorizontal.bbfr.net:
http://velorizontal.bbfr.net/t19901p15-la-mecque-des-hpv-a-paris-en-septembre-2015
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
www.recumbents.com © 2017 www.recumbents.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000