Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

expedlar
Starting Member

United Kingdom
12 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2012 :  06:54:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike: I was correcting whilst you posted, when I spotted my poor research...oh well.

It is amazing that Boardmans record still stands after 16 years, even against stiff recumbent competition and progress. I really think Boardman had a fitness very few could reach, even if one trains for the hour for many years. It was team boardman, too. so much technical input and coaching. Psychology in his coaching must have been contributory factor- its everywhere in sport these days,

But go Aure! allez allez!
Go to Top of Page

Auré
Starting Member

France
48 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2012 :  07:16:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Boardman mark is really crazy : an incredible wattages per square meter. Also, don't forget to reaching that, Boardman use a special bike and a special position which look like more to a recumbent than a traditional road bike. Also, he probably use training techniques and all other things known, to output an incredible average power.

Nevertheless, I think more and more that it's possible for a legit ( but very gifted )trained guy on an unfaired recumbent to reach and overtake Boardman mark. But I don't think it will be made by me this time...
It seems too far... We'll see, I will make new test on the track next week, I will see in a more precicely way what speed I can sustain.

Whatever, even 100 meters more than the actual world record will be a great achievement !
Go to Top of Page

expedlar
Starting Member

United Kingdom
12 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2012 :  07:24:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hope you have 5(at least!) more years of improving fitness and getting backing/training team/sponsorship to really increase your speed. It is a remarkable effort you made 2009, especially as you are 'amateur' and dont make a wage from cycling. Its out of love!

"the win comes from within"

Edited by - expedlar on 04/07/2012 09:15:57
Go to Top of Page

Upright Mike
human power expert

USA
3864 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2012 :  07:31:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am updating the Wikipedia page
Go to Top of Page

Runxner
recumbent enthusiast

USA
452 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2012 :  07:40:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The UCI hour record is Boardman's 49.441 kms in 2000
The UCI Performance record (before they outlawed any bike improvements and then did after the facts) is the 56.375 Prone-upright position almost

Team Low-Life
Lowracer Test Pilot/Evangelist
Adelaide, Australia
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
3835 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2012 :  08:06:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aure, I love your attitude. And I think you are right. Improved bike design and improving riders will get there. Good luck!
Go to Top of Page

expedlar
Starting Member

United Kingdom
12 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2012 :  09:13:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Runxner

The UCI hour record is Boardman's 49.441 kms in 2000
The UCI Performance record (before they outlawed any bike improvements and then did after the facts) is the 56.375 Prone-upright position almost

Team Low-Life
Adelaide, Australia

Uci and wiki both say its at 49.7kmph....
http://www.uci.ch/templates/UCI/UCI1/layout.asp?MenuId=MTUxMjc&LangId=1

So well done Aure! Very few men in world have gone faster than you, unfaired. I make it six.
You are the seventh fasted person in the world on an unfaired bicycle, recumbent or upright. Think about it! If you go 54km, you will be 3rd fastest! Ever!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

2373 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2012 :  09:36:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great looking bike. Lookig forward to your your new hour record.
Go to Top of Page

Adam C
recumbent enthusiast

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2012 :  15:05:37  Show Profile  Visit Adam C's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Auré

Boardman mark is really crazy : an incredible wattages per square meter. Also, don't forget to reaching that, Boardman use a special bike and a special position which look like more to a recumbent than a traditional road bike. Also, he probably use training techniques and all other things known, to output an incredible average power.

Nevertheless, I think more and more that it's possible for a legit ( but very gifted )trained guy on an unfaired recumbent to reach and overtake Boardman mark. But I don't think it will be made by me this time...
It seems too far... We'll see, I will make new test on the track next week, I will see in a more precicely way what speed I can sustain.

Whatever, even 100 meters more than the actual world record will be a great achievement !

Chris Boardman was a monster world class athlete. That cannot be emphasized enough. The difference between a truly world class athlete like Chris Boardman and us mere mortals is quite large. I experienced this personally in high school. I ran track in high school. As a senior I got my mile time down to 4:26, a solid time for a high school boy. Then I ran a race against twin brothers who were the two fastest high school milers IN THE NATION (one ran 4:04, the other ran 4:05). Lets just say it was a humbling and eye opening experience.

Boardman's record ride is truly a masterpiece. It seems everything came together at once, a powerful well trained rider, state-of-the-art technology, and the right track.

I think Aure has it right. Eventually someone on a recumbent will better Boardman's distance. It's only a matter of time when a powerful and well trained recumbent rider will beat it.

Edited by - Adam C on 04/07/2012 16:21:53
Go to Top of Page

Runxner
recumbent enthusiast

USA
452 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2012 :  16:36:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Uci and wiki both say its at 49.7kmph....
http://www.uci.ch/templates/UCI/UCI1/layout.asp?MenuId=MTUxMjc&LangId=1

So it is! But not Boardman at all (he is 49.441), I was thrown off only hearing his name, unbroken 16 years etc..
Ondrej Sosenka has 49.7 on a UCI hour legal bike with a 3.2 kg wheel as a flywheel.

Team Low-Life
Adelaide, Australia
Go to Top of Page

Auré
Starting Member

France
48 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2012 :  10:46:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Today, I made a new test at the Bordeaux track, with my news Mavic wheels, and some little new settings and improvements.
Warmed, I made a 10' timed ( fly start , like the last time where I made 54 km/h average ), but this time I made 56,7 km/h average.
It's really crazy, and even more like I feel that I can sustain this effort on an hour.
I think now boardman mark is reacheable and breakable on my next attempt.
It will take place probably between 21 and 25 may.
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
6455 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2012 :  11:14:05  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey Auré, please make sure to fill out a WRRA record request ahead of time so you can work with Sean to ensure that your attempt is properly timed and documented to make ratification easy.

http://www.recumbents.com/wrra/recordrequest.asp

Thanks,

-Warren.

Edited by - warren on 04/13/2012 11:14:39
Go to Top of Page

Auré
Starting Member

France
48 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2012 :  11:23:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't worry Warren, I have allready done attempts and know all that.
The timing will be done by TAG, and also handmade.
Whatever, thanks to you ;)
Go to Top of Page

Gugi100

Netherlands
80 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2012 :  12:27:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Auré,

Very exciting! I think the boardman record can be done. The bike you come up with is purposely build and very good thought out. That is the way to go!

Succes GJ.
Go to Top of Page

expedlar
Starting Member

United Kingdom
12 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2012 :  13:01:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, records will come!

P.s Aure, do you ever have chain problems on this bike, could it ever come off? Just looks a little vulnerable in this matter.

Go to Top of Page

britCpower
recumbent enthusiast

USA
249 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2012 :  13:03:29  Show Profile  Visit britCpower's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aure, beating Chris's record would indeed be a fantastic achievement. I was there when Chris did that hour record and it was an awesome effort.

Me, My dog and Chris

my blog
http://britcpower.wordpress.com/

Edited by - britCpower on 04/13/2012 13:04:13
Go to Top of Page

Upright Mike
human power expert

USA
3864 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2012 :  15:03:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aure'
Your bike looks a bit like my good friend John Morciglio's masterpiece, he calls his the Arrowhead. Its a 700 rear / 650 front wheel recumbent with a splitter plate design. Perhaps you can get some ideas off his design, or order one from him - he's been selling these and other bikes to customers over here in the states. I bought his M1 lowracer and set a best of "only" 44.5 km in one hour, which was much better than my 40 km in one hour on my Challenge

http://i363.photobucket.com/albums/oo72/JohnMorciglio/IMAG0059.jpg

Go to Top of Page

Upright Mike
human power expert

USA
3864 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2012 :  15:11:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Opps, should have posted this pict...
Here's John's dual 700/700 Apache highracer, as he calls it. He's sold quite a few to customers Obviously the seat can be laid back much more, and the handlebars more aero, but this was built to be ridden around on the street in traffic.
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
3835 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2012 :  15:16:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Note to self: train hard, save up for trip to Apeldorn, borrow JM's bike, try to get within 8k of Aure.
Go to Top of Page

britCpower
recumbent enthusiast

USA
249 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2012 :  15:25:50  Show Profile  Visit britCpower's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I need one of them for my local time trials.

my blog
http://britcpower.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

PUGZCAT
recumbent enthusiast

Canada
466 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2012 :  15:26:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The seating position reminds me of Sean Costin's Monkey Hand.
Go to Top of Page

Auré
Starting Member

France
48 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2012 :  06:45:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone know where to find the full record Chris Boardman laps timing when he accomplished his 56.375 km hour record?

Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
3835 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2012 :  08:16:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aure, is that a Powertap hub? How much power do you need to go 55k/hr?

Thanks, and good luck.
Go to Top of Page

Auré
Starting Member

France
48 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2012 :  08:35:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I try to use a PowerTape yesterday, so it explain why the bike was equiped with the yellow cyclops computer.
Unfortunately, I saw when I was on the track that the rear powertape wheel can't be fitted unless make little modification on the frame. So I was not able to record any power mesurement.
But I can answer you that my warming speed was around 53-54 km/h, and that 55 km/h seems sustainable without too many effort.
Go to Top of Page

Upright Mike
human power expert

USA
3864 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2012 :  09:31:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Auré

Does anyone know where to find the full record Chris Boardman laps timing when he accomplished his 56.375 km hour record?

Hi Auré. I have not been able to find his lap times in all my searches over the years. The closest info out there is from:
http://www.bikecult.com/bikecultbook/sports_recordsHour.html
Progression
1 km: 1:10.8 50.8 km/h
5 km: 5:27.0 55.0 km/h
10 km: 10:47.1 55.6 km/h
20 km: 21:23.9 56.1 km/h
30 km: 32:00.5 56.2 km/h
40 km: 42:41.3 56.2 km/h
50 km: 53:21.7 56.2 km/h

Sources say he had some discomfort from the Superman position midway through the attempt so he slowed a bit or raises his shoulders to relieve the strain.

Then http://www.wolfgang-menn.de/boardman2.htm states..
"In an breathtaking finish he rode the last 6 km with an incredible average speed of 57.7 km/h, pushing him up towards 56.375 km at the end of the hour!"

http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/results/archives/sep96/hour.html
"Boardman maintained his speed to the finish. His fastest kilometre of the night was the 56th, which he covered in 1min 1.572sec." (58.5 km/h)

It would be nice to know Boardman's lap times so you could set your schedule to just that- but you would have to accelerate in the end. Graeme first used a too ambitious schedule when going after the record, then at the suggestion of someone he used Moser's actual record schedule so he could be up on it from the start. One thing that has always got my curiousity about Boardman's record is this curious fact: 56.375 km = exactly 225.5 laps of the 250 meter Manchester velodrome. Did he finish exactly on this half-lap point or was this some sort of estimate?

Edited by - Upright Mike on 04/14/2012 09:48:40
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
www.recumbents.com © 2019 www.recumbents.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000