www.recumbents.com - 2012 builds - Any body Started?
www.recumbents.com
www.recumbents.com
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
 All Forums
 www.recumbents.com
 WHPSC (Battle Mountain)
 2012 builds - Any body Started?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 14

ellen

Netherlands
59 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2012 :  03:08:43  Show Profile  Visit ellen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Delft did do there wind tunnel test you can read the story at this link http://www.hptdelft.nl/en/.
It looks like a 35% improvement of last year.
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
3835 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2012 :  06:24:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wonder is their drag was lower than the incredible number Eiviestretto posted. All quite amazing.
Go to Top of Page

hptdelft

Netherlands
81 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2012 :  12:04:25  Show Profile  Visit hptdelft's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The answer is no. But then again Eiviestretto wouldn't fit our 2m tall powermonsters. It will be a good battle at Dekra next week.

-------------------------
Yeah yeah, banana custard.
Go to Top of Page

sean costin
human power expert

Lesotho
2005 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2012 :  19:03:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I met with Dr. Dave Sianez and picked up the mold yesterday from CCSU. Dave is pictured with the bike sort of fitted together. We took a few pictures, shrink wrapped it up and popped it in my truck. Everything looked really good and now I'll be doing some touch up sanding of flash and hopefully I can do the first layup next weekend. The transitions are really good- top and bottom. Far better than what I could have done by hand. I'm really happy with the way this is turning out.

Go to Top of Page

W Hilgenberg
recumbent enthusiast

USA
286 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2012 :  23:41:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We pulled the first fairing layup today and were seemingly successful. Tried a new (to us) layup technique call the "Inception" technique where a first vacuum is pulled to create a mold surface, the carbon is laid in place and a second vacuum is pulled over everything. Once we pull this layup we will have to either start shaping the next mold half or start the post bonds.

Here are some of the pictures but you can find more at our blog;
www.auroraspeedbike.blogspot.com

This is the primary "Mold surface" vacuum;

And this is the secondary carbon compression vacuum;

Lastly, here's a picture of the new workplace;
Go to Top of Page

Larry Lem
human power expert

South Sandwich Islands
2538 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2012 :  13:33:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Keep it up! See you in September! (Pretending these are FB comments...)

Larry Lem
Go to Top of Page

Jeff Wills
human power supergeek

USA
1272 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2012 :  16:15:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Lem

Keep it up! See you in September! (Pretending these are FB comments...)

Larry Lem

Like!

Go to Top of Page

sean costin
human power expert

Lesotho
2005 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2012 :  19:13:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bottom half almost ready for carbon
Go to Top of Page

W Hilgenberg
recumbent enthusiast

USA
286 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2012 :  19:52:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oooohhh. . . Pretty. . .
Go to Top of Page

Adam C
recumbent enthusiast

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2012 :  09:40:15  Show Profile  Visit Adam C's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Will,

Are you creating a "plug" to create your mold?

Go to Top of Page

LongJohn
recumbent guru

China
581 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2012 :  14:36:44  Show Profile  Visit LongJohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Another update from Team Cygnus:

http://cygnushpv.blogspot.nl/

Another weekend with lots of work coming up.... ;-)

Thomas
Go to Top of Page

Larry Lem
human power expert

South Sandwich Islands
2538 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2012 :  15:10:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thomas,
What is the difference between Cygnus Alpha and Beta? Alpha for long races, Beta for Battle Mountain? But either will accomodate JM, you, and David?

Larry Lem
Go to Top of Page

LongJohn
recumbent guru

China
581 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2012 :  22:26:06  Show Profile  Visit LongJohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Larry,

Partially correct;

Alpha is for long races and accomodates Jan. it will fit Jan-Marcel and David but not me (different BB position, different steering).
Beta is for Battle Mountain and accomodates me, J-M, David, and soon "the Stig". It won't fit Jan (BB too far away).

Other difference is that Beta is a full sandwich fairing where Alpha is monolithic with honeycomb reinforcements.

Thomas
Go to Top of Page

Speedbiker
human power expert

USA
3835 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2012 :  23:09:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That looks awesome.
Go to Top of Page

jdub
recumbent enthusiast

United Kingdom
204 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2012 :  07:01:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike Buirrows tried this in his Cyclops hour record attempt trike some time ago. The fibre optic came to goggles, so teh view didn't change when you leaned your head. Sickmaking and probably impossible on 2 wheels, but mini cameras were not available then.

Jonathan

quote:
Originally posted by hptdelft

Yes we have tried this (experimented a bit with a simple fibre optic system).
The resolution (nr of fibres) on entry level borescopes is way to low to ride a bike. Also the large angle lens (suited for confined spaces) makes everything seem very far away (even though you are standing right in front of it).

You could have a custom high quality (higher resolution) one made with a more suitable viewing angle. We were quoted something like 5000 euros for having such a system made. That would be just to try if it even works (resolution is still doubtfull).
Also constantly wearing an eyepiece is very uncomfortable

End of story: camera + screen system is much better. It's cheap, easily customizable (camera lens angles etc), and it works very well.

quote:
Originally posted by Juanjo Vaucelles

Thanks Larry and Thom, I have another question. Instead of a camera mounted on top of the bike or a two mirror periscope system, has anyone tried using a pair of fiber optic scopes?
If nobody has tried it yet, I should buy one and start playing with it...
http://www.advanced-intelligence.com/optics.html

I was thinking to use one optic scope per eye attached to a pair of goggles and the other ends mounted on top of the fairing. They might provide good vision as you can see near or far.

Juanjo Vaucelles

-------------------------
Yeah yeah, banana custard.

...got the T-shirt
Go to Top of Page

Juanjo Vaucelles
Starting Member

Argentina
32 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2012 :  14:06:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe the main problem I find in such a system (fiber optic scope attached to goggles) is that you can only see to the outside but you can't check an speedometer or whatever as reference points during a race.

Jonathan, I couldn't find any picture of mike's cyclops on the web, does anyone have more info of this trike? It sounds interesting.

Now I see that Cygnus Beta has a camera system without side windows ala Matt Weaver, BUT Cygnus Alpha has a different periscope system...
Also noticed a different front wheel fairing in Alpha, similar to the Velox.

Thomas, Jan Marcel, how does it feels riding with a mere video system?

Juanjo Vaucelles
Go to Top of Page

JMvD
recumbent enthusiast

Netherlands
116 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2012 :  23:18:32  Show Profile  Visit JMvD's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Juanjo Vaucelles

Maybe the main problem I find in such a system (fiber optic scope attached to goggles) is that you can only see to the outside but you can't check an speedometer or whatever as reference points during a race.

Jonathan, I couldn't find any picture of mike's cyclops on the web, does anyone have more info of this trike? It sounds interesting.

Now I see that Cygnus Beta has a camera system without side windows ala Matt Weaver, BUT Cygnus Alpha has a different periscope system...

Thomas, Jan Marcel, how does it feels riding with a mere video system?

Juanjo Vaucelles

Hi Juanjo,

We had some experience with riding the bike with a periscope (actually a peri-scoop, because it also serves as the air inlet) in Battle Mountain last year. You just step in the bike and start riding. Don't doubt about what you see; that's reality.
When riding with the camera's (dual system; completely redundent) it is all the same. Don't doubt about what you see; that's reality. There is nothing else you can see, so trust the system. As soon as you start thinking you might notice there is some slight difference between your eyes (camera system) and your vestibular system. But we don't feel it as problematic.

Cheers,

Jan-Marcel
Go to Top of Page

jdub
recumbent enthusiast

United Kingdom
204 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2012 :  04:26:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I couldn't find any pics of Cyclops. Pre internet! I think there is a difference with the goggle system. While the Periscoop(tm) is rigidly fixed to the shell, as are cameras and mirrors, the fibre optic headset was not. You could move your head (a little) without any change of view. That isn't how we normally work.

...got the T-shirt
Go to Top of Page

jdub
recumbent enthusiast

United Kingdom
204 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2012 :  07:08:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jdub

I couldn't find any pics of Cyclops. Pre internet! I think there is a difference with the goggle system. While the Periscoop(tm) is rigidly fixed to the shell, as are cameras and mirrors, the fibre optic headset was not. You could move your head (a little) without any change of view. That isn't how we normally work.

...got the T-shirt

Burrows Cyclops was in Bicycle Action magazine in colour. I may have it in an old photocopied BHPC mag!

...got the T-shirt
Go to Top of Page

Larry Lem
human power expert

South Sandwich Islands
2538 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2012 :  15:26:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I got confused and thought I ordered a case of protein powder.

Larry Lem
Go to Top of Page

warren
human power expert

USA
6423 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2012 :  16:46:52  Show Profile  Visit warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh boy Bondo man, I thought you would have your plug finished by now?
Go to Top of Page

Jeff Wills
human power supergeek

USA
1272 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2012 :  18:05:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Lem

I got confused and thought I ordered a case of protein powder.

Larry Lem

That's some Mondo Bondo...

Go to Top of Page

raymondg
recumbent guru

865 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2012 :  13:35:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmmmm....All of those Bondo fumes may explain some of Larry's posts
-Raymond
Go to Top of Page

sean costin
human power expert

Lesotho
2005 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2012 :  15:40:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larry, In a couple more years, your will have your house completely sided with bondo cans. Then you can qualify for a tourist attraction.

Sean
Go to Top of Page

jnyyz
recumbent enthusiast

Canada
334 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2012 :  10:57:53  Show Profile  Visit jnyyz's Homepage  Reply with Quote
the Toronto team is off racing at Northbrook and Kenosha this weekend. Here are a few pictures of some of the repair work on Bluenose.

http://jnyyz.wordpress.com/2012/07/14/bluenose-revisited/

Hope the weather is better than the forecast!

http://jnyyz.wordpress.com/category/hpv/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 14 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
www.recumbents.com © 2019 www.recumbents.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000